Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!!
Im new to the forum and to riding and need some help. I have been riding about 100 miles for 2 weeks on a friends bike and decided its time to buy a road bike. I'm not looking to race any time soon but I do want to try to ride hard, by myself and with friends. I figure I will ride a lot so I want to get a good bike. My budget is around 1500 give or take a couple hundred. I have narrowed my search to about 3 bikes but can not decide on what to get. Been to a few local shops and it looks like i fit a 54 or medium in each bike. I am looking at either the specialized allez comp, giant ocr comp 3, ocr comp limited,and a tcr comp limited. I have been on the ocr comp3 and the tcr comp limited. Will get on the others tomorrow. Im trying to decide whether i want the more relaxed ride of the ocrs or the racier allez or tcr, I cant really tell due the length of ride but is there a noticable difference?. If i decide comfort, ocr comp or comp limited? Race design, allez or tcr? I have read some bad things about truvativ cranks on here so im not sure if i should go with any of the giants, however the tcr and ocr limiteds have ultegra for everything else except the brakes and crank. The ocr comp 3 is 105 except for crank and brakes. I like the specialized because it is completely 105. All are priced the same. Should i go with the carbon frame with mostly ultegra or get the carbon/al mix with full 105? Also the tcr is a double and i live in a hilly area. Will this be a problem? The salesman at one of the shops said that i could change the rear to a 12-27 and that i should be fine. Do i get a triple or a double? What would be the order in which you would choose a bike out of my list. Sorry for such a long post, im just so lost and i want to get out on the road with my own bike.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
personally i would go the relaxed bike. I would go for the carbon ultegra, that would be a good base for a bike to keep. If the wheels are crap and give you trouble 200 USD will give you ultegras on OPs. That is the attitude you should take, replace only if it ends up being an issue. (eg cranks, which i'm sure will be fine...)

as for double/triple... depends what u can get up, and how hilly it is up there... My experience is you improve quickly when you have no option. I'm running a double with a 11-23 at the back.. i'm loving it for my area and i started on some decent climbs out here... a road bike is for going moderately fast, not for spinning in a 30-29 f/r combination. I would go the double - if you have issues, you can go the short ratio cassette or if the cranks do suck, you can always go compact.. (if they aren't already)

dunno the names of the giant bikes, but there is one with mavic (aksium?) wheels, ultegra, fsa carbon cranks and full monocoque frame with the FULL carbon 1pc fork. There is the issue that some giant carbon frames come with a heavier and "semi carbon" fork, but otherwise look similar. That is the bike i would have bought if i didn't build my own. You'll be happy in the long run with a 1.1kg frame and sweet fork for reasonable money. If it was an italian brand, be prepared for a mortgage !!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're saying the carbon and some ultegra would be better than the full 105 carbon/al mix? Also are the relaxed bikes really that much more relaxed? The more relaxed Ocr is a triple and the TCR is a double.I have no clue about how ratios work. The TCR comp limited is a compact gxp 36/50.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
it being carbon doesn't necessarily make it "better", ultimately its how it feels under you that matters. My point is, after a while you get the itch to upgrade. Kinda hard to upgrade a 1.1kg frame and full carbon fork, since most upgrades invariably revolve around weight. a 105 carbon/alu bike, is likely to have a much heavier frame and fork, about 1.5kg and .5kg respectively. Again, matters only if you are a weight weenie... (i'm on said heavy-ish alu/carbon frame, but weight doesn't matter to me, my 8kg bike is light enuff IMO)

Ultegra is higher on the food chain, so shimano thinks its better, again, less issues down the track.. That said, a triple is not a deal breaker, u can simply not use the smallest ring up front if you dont need it... If you feel like it, you can convert it to a double later on.

A compact crank running 36/50 should be enuff tho..combined with a 12-27 as the mech said should get you up most things. By reference i stay in my big ring (53) and only go to the smaller on my double to take off at the lights, so i find a 53-23 combination adequate for the climbs i have around here (or equivalent 39-17, both give a geared increased of around 1:2.4) That said i'm more comfortable staying in my big ring, it *feels* better to me. Thats teh thing, its not what u want it hear, but you'll pick whatever feels right to you, not what someone on the interweb suggests.

thats why i suggest the ultegra carbon bike. get it in your size, make sure, and you can fix up the rest as you figure out whats right for you. I think you're more likely to keep this frame and shifters more than 105/alu. Better to start with too much than too little. I guess this goes for the triple too, you might like it..

i'm referring to this bike btw: tcr comp1 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10028

if you look up the OCR it reveals a alu/carbon fork.. here:http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10018

not a major thing, but that and the higher spec wheels would tip me over to the TCR comp 1. (my bad, they are elites, not aksium) Its only a marginal $$ difference here in Oz. I'ld still look at it for sure if i had no tcr option or ruled it out tho..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.