Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new custom steel frame bike and got a pump peg and a silca imperio painted to match...beautiful. had my first flat on saturday, and could not get the imperio to work....it really did not fit over the presta valve so I had to hold together with my left so hard I bent the stem. What am i doing wrong?

· Banned
7,191 Posts
T-Doc said:
I have a new custom steel frame bike and got a pump peg and a silca imperio painted to match...beautiful. had my first flat on saturday, and could not get the imperio to work....it really did not fit over the presta valve so I had to hold together with my left so hard I bent the stem. What am i doing wrong?
What yer doing wrong is using an imperio...

Probably need to replace the stock head with a campy head- I recall that being something you were supposed to do right off the bat.

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Technique?

buck-50 said:
What yer doing wrong is using an imperio...

Probably need to replace the stock head with a campy head- I recall that being something you were supposed to do right off the bat.
Sorry, but I can't buy this. I've used three relatively recent Imperos with no problems whatsoever and no need to change the head. Back in the day, it was wise to replace the Silca standard head - they put a really cheap one on there assuming that everyone was going to swap out to Campy anyway. These days, that is not the case and the standard head works fine.

For the OP, I would just check to make sure that the rubber insert in the head has the proper size hole. It could have been too tight because of some mold flash left in the hole, or because the hole needed a little reaming. This is not rocket science.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
The Silica frame pump looks nice, but works like crap.

If you don't hook your thumb over the tire, you may well rip off the valve. The trick is to hook your thump over the tire, while hooking your forefinger around a spoke, while using your thumb to hold the pump head tight against the valve, while using you right hand to pump. After you get to 80 psi, the pumping gets difficult......real difficult. Grunting is required to attain 95 pcs. Any more, and you may need CPR.

My advise is to put the pump back on the bike and never touch it again. Buy a CO2 inflator.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Sorry, but I can't buy this. I've used three relatively recent Imperos with no problems whatsoever and no need to change the head. Back in the day, it was wise to replace the Silca standard head - they put a really cheap one on there assuming that everyone was going to swap out to Campy anyway. These days, that is not the case and the standard head works fine.

For the OP, I would just check to make sure that the rubber insert in the head has the proper size hole. It could have been too tight because of some mold flash left in the hole, or because the hole needed a little reaming. This is not rocket science.
Yer luck with imperios is better than mine- last one I used blew up- if it wasn't raining, and I hadn't been at the far point on my ride, it would have been funny to watch the pump handle and guts rocket their way into the puget sound...

They're finicky enough that I would leave the custom painted pump on the bike for show and have a couple CO2 backups or keep a crank bros mini pump in my saddle bag if I were you...

· Registered
21,864 Posts
It's not luck

buck-50 said:
Yer luck with imperios is better than mine- last one I used blew up. They're finicky enough that I would leave the custom painted pump on the bike for show and have a couple CO2 backups or keep a crank bros mini pump in my saddle bag if I were you...
If your Silca Impero (one "i") popped, it was because you jammed it on the valve so far that you depressed the valve stem with the pump head. That is operator error. I've used these pumps for over 35 years and not had this problem. They're not that finicky. It's like saying "I twisted off an aluminum chainring bolt," and blaming it on the bolt rather than on over-torquing the bolt (another operator error).

· Registered
619 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
If your Silca Impero (one "i") popped, it was because you jammed it on the valve so far that you depressed the valve stem with the pump head. That is operator error. I've used these pumps for over 35 years and not had this problem. They're not that finicky. It's like saying "I twisted off an aluminum chainring bolt," and blaming it on the bolt rather than on over-torquing the bolt (another operator error).
The 2 problems with Imperos is that 1- they require a little more upper body strength than other pumps, and 2- they require a little skill to use. nevertheless, they are the fastest frame pump you can buy, and even now are relatively light.

em

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.