Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been patiently waiting for the 8th to come, and when it does, the girl on the other end of the phone shattered my dreams... No 59 or 56 frames for the Angus or the Mark V. Closest to that is a 62.

So, all in all, my day have been sort of ruined. Any other ideas out there? I had been so dead set on getting this specific bike that i didn't come up with any back up plans. I was looking at the milwaukee. but it's a little more than I want to spend, not to mention that I was looking for something without all the braze-ons, and some super sexy Deep V's.

So I'm kind of at a loss here, and don't know where to look. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot guys,

joe

·
Registered
202 Posts
Damn, that sucks! You'll be really hard-pressed to beat the IRO price, that's for sure. Did they indicate when your size might be in stock? I occasionally see them on eBay, but not lately. My first thought as an alternative was Milwaukee, but you're right about the braze-ons, dual brakes, etc. Bianchi Pistas are pretty cheap, as is the Raleigh Rush Hour. I'm sure others will weigh in with some I haven't thought of. There are some inexpensive aluminum frames available, like Fetish Cycles, but I don't know that you want to go that route. The ubiquitous eBay brands like Windsor and Mercier are alternatives, but I haven't read anything especially glowing about them (nor anything especially derisive, either).

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
asterisk said:
If you can wait I heard the frames will be back in stock in about 5 weeks.

I could do 5 weeks, I suppose... but when I spoke with the girl on the phone she told me that they weren't absoutley certain, but but they probably wouldn't be in till the Spring... Isn't this Spring? Man... I've been in school too long.

joe

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hmmm... Chase is right. You KNOW you won't regret waiting, but you MIGHT regret pulling the trigger on something else. Better to play it safe.

But just to stir the pot, I'll throw in the fact that the Milwaukee is made by Waterford, right here in the USA, and would probably be worth the additional expense, if you can get past the additional braze-ons. I think if I was vacillating between the two, I might opt for the Orange One; I'm a sucker for that curved, lugged fork, and I like True Temper steel.

But it is $170 more....

Wow, am I glad I'm not in your situation right now! :)

Here's a side-by-side shot to agonize over....

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fixintogo said:
Wow, am I glad I'm not in your situation right now! :)

Here's a side-by-side shot to agonize over....

Gee... thanks!

I really don't want to settle... But I'm a very impatient person. I had to wait to order till my student loans game in... then, the day my loans come in, IRO closed for inventory. They opened back up today, and didn't have it, and couldn't tell me when they were going to have it. So I'm pretty bummed, but till I find something I can be as into as that Angus, I'm not going to bite.

The Orange One is tempting, but it's not what I was looking for really, and it's more expensive, which makes it a little easier to resist. Besides, I'm not sure if they will build it up how I want it (Bullhorns, red Deep V's) without takcing on even more money.

joe

·
Registered
202 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
I really don't want to settle...

Well alrighty, then! C'mon, Joe, you can wait 35 days! We'll be your support group if you start to waver. Day one starts tomorrow. That's it .... baby steps.... one day at a time.

(tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... )

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fixintogo said:
Well alrighty, then! C'mon, Joe, you can wait 35 days! We'll be your support group if you start to waver. Day one starts tomorrow. That's it .... baby steps.... one day at a time.

(tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... tick... )

I hope it's 35 days!

joe

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
To Bad

I am just like you Joe, once I know I want something I can't wait to get it. Try to be strong buddy and wait it out, I love those IRO frames and I think that it will be well worth the wait for you. Think of it this way if you wait and save on the frame you can justify buying their deluxe wheelset (which is pretty sweet, I know I have a set),

Here is something to maybe not make you feel so bad: I got the deluxe wheelset as a christmas present, the package arrived on the 8th of Dec. but I wasn't allowed to put them on my bike till the 25th. I went and looked at thoes wheels everyday!!!! My girlfriend is soo mean.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Deep V's

If it'll help I can post pictures of my red Deep V's ...kind of a, "Yeah, they're worth waiting for" thing. Or would that be cruel?
I had to wait for my IRO due to an earlier shutdown but it was definitely worth it...be strong Joe.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
fixintogo said:
the Milwaukee is made by Waterford, right here in the USA, and would probably be worth the additional expense, if you can get past the additional braze-ons. I think if I was vacillating between the two, I might opt for the Orange One; I'm a sucker for that curved, lugged fork, and I like True Temper steel.
To help out stirring the pot: ;-)

1.) I asked Russell @Ben's Cycle if I can get a frame WITHOUT the top tube (rear brake) braze-ons and he didn't think it would be a problem to ask his Waterford contact to omit one frame from this brazing process. I'm still waiting to hear back from him and have since noticed that questions re: the Milwaukee are now directed towards Jim. Not sure if Russell is still w/Ben's Cycle but I just sent Jim an email.

2.) Ben's Cycle is now waiving their $40 shipping charge for the Orange One frameset.

Both bikes have different geometries though, so you'd have to decide which is the better fit.

I'm now very interested in the DeBernardi Thron track frameset. Lugged Italian steel that I can get a discount on via my LBS. Decisions, Decisions...

·
Registered
202 Posts
jtferraro said:
I'm now very interested in the DeBernardi Thron track frameset. Lugged Italian steel that I can get a discount on via my LBS.

The Thron is a sweet frameset. May I ask how much they're asking for one?

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
fixintogo said:
The Thron is a sweet frameset. May I ask how much they're asking for one?
I've seen them online for $490 & $450 but I can get it for $425. There's a complete bike on ebay right now too.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
one more...

isn't giant offering a pretty sweet track/fixie setup now?!!!

sorry, i couldn't resist.

on a serious note though, i've got a little story for you. i had a beater torpado frame for my first fixie. a friend had an old bottecchia frame that i loved. i waited a year before i found one i could afford (on ebay of course). six months later, because i'm complete fool, i was sailing through a parking lot and hit a curb (truth be told i was checking out the bottecchia in the reflective windows). bam!! buckled top and down tube. i literally cried as i called my gf to pick me up. image: her, "oh my god are you hurt" me, "she's gone, daphne's dead. she's all bent up"

so, back to the beat up torpado that didn't fit right and wasn't near as sexy (though still lugged columbus). i tried thinking, well, now i can get something different. it's fate. nope. nothing felt right. finally found another bottecchia. same size, color, etc. it was an agonizing wait, but daphne II is now safe at home and i limit my gazes at her to when both my feet are on the ground.

wait it out.
oh, and put the money in a hiding place. my money stash always had a way of disappearing when i was in college. i think it all went to those yuengling brewing boys in PA. jaques derrida has a way of doing that to you :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
ampastoral said:
isn't giant offering a pretty sweet track/fixie setup now?!!!

I know, dude, I just ordered one and it comes with its own spoke cards and a Chrome messenger bag!! :p LOL

Have I seen a picture of your Bottechia(s) yet?

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
fixintogo said:
I know, dude, I just ordered one and it comes with its own spoke cards and a Chrome messenger bag!! :p LOL

Have I seen a picture of your Bottechia(s) yet?
not yet. i've got some time tomorrow afternoon. i'll get shots of both daphne I and daphne II. (alas, one is relegated to the wall in the garage. bent or not, i couldn't get rid of it.) worst of all, was the teary call i made to the lbs asking if they could repair it. i knew the answer but needed to hear it from someone else..hehe. maybe i can sub some old baseball cards in the spokes for ultimate street cred.....

plus, i'll get to "borrow" the gf's kick ass camera. any excuse works

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Called IRO again today, they told me that they'd have Angus frams in in 3 weeks. I think I may be able to keep my mind that long :)

joe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts