Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a new wheelset for my hubby as a gift, but we're on a TIGHT budget. Can anyone recommend something that would hold up to his 200 pounds and rough riding? Everything in the reviews here is at least 1000 bucks and I've only got a few hundred. Thanks so much for any ideas! (fyi, I really don't know anything about wheels technically, so please bare with me :confused: )

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
kara543 said:
I'm trying to find a new wheelset for my hubby as a gift, but we're on a TIGHT budget. Can anyone recommend something that would hold up to his 200 pounds and rough riding?
Does your hubby have any particular expectations about wheels... or will any that are durable and cheap do? The Open Pro/ Ultegra route is hard to beat for price, but they are not "flashy" at all... and some riders are pretty picky about the appearance of their equipment.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
rruff said:
Does your hubby have any particular expectations about wheels... or will any that are durable and cheap do? The Open Pro/ Ultegra route is hard to beat for price, but they are not "flashy" at all... and some riders are pretty picky about the appearance of their equipment.
paint one spoke red and it's all good :cool:

·
classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
Consider wider rims/tires.

kara543 said:
for your help everyone. I'm deep into researching the Neuvations and the Open Pros. Any more thoughts are appreciated, but at least this gives me a start.
Don't get hung up on using only 23mm-wide rims and tires. If your husband is really abusive on wheels, consider using wider tires and rims. Shouldn't be a problem finding a good set for $300. I think the reviews here are biased towards race-oriented wheels, hence the high price tag.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
rruff said:
Well... sort of. How about tying and some purple solder, too? Hmm....

But, you really can't do better than spokey dokeys for expressing your true creative individuality...
Spokey Dokes are pretty cool, but if you want the ultimate you've got to go with hokey spokes-

http://www.hokeyspokes.com/

That's what I'm putting on my Bianchi- as soon as I get one, that is. Until then I'm just threading crape paper through the spokes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
RE: Help! is there a cheap, strong wheelset out there?

Another thought in excellent prices on high qaulity race and train wheels is Velocity. Right now you can get a set of Aeroheads, Fusions or Deep V in a set for $259 delivered. The Aeroheads have been written up favorably mny times on here and other forums. I found them at that prices at Superspokes recently. They also had FSA and someother brands in a broad price range. Good place to start.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Velocity rims are great. I have three sets with Aeroheads, on conventional and two with the offset rear, and one with Deep Vs. The Deep Vs are bombproof, mine are laced to Dura Ace 28hole hubs front and rear and I use them exclusively for training. They would stand up to the OP husband's weight with no problem. Its hard to beat the prices too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.