Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, posted in the trek forum but no replies so I figured I'd shoot the question here. looking at buying my first road!

So I was browsing my lbs and they have a 2012 madone 3.1 (apex) that they want 1650 for. What do you guys think? with the 14's announcing sooner than later, is this a bad deal/should I be worried about being two model years behind?

thanks guys

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
The only reason to fret over buying a bike a year (or two) old is if you think you may be reselling it fairly soon, because you'll take a hit on depreciation for those years. OTOH, if you're planning on keeping the bike awhile, it's a non-issue.

As far as price, not knowing MSRP for that year/ model, I can't say for sure, but given the 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite Apex is sale priced at $1,900, the Madone looks to be a decent deal, but not a great deal.

Just make sure it fits you and your intended uses.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. also, I assume the tarmac is the equivalent to the madone while the roubaix is as to the do mane?

anyway, yeah not too excited about the offer anyway so probably not going to bite

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
thanks for the reply. also, I assume the tarmac is the equivalent to the madone while the roubaix is as to the do mane?

anyway, yeah not too excited about the offer anyway so probably not going to bite
You're correct.

Tarmac/ Madone = race geo

Roubaix/ Domane = relaxed/ endurance geo

Sorry if I confused.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.