Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to buy a road bike for myself and could use some advice.
I plan on using the bike more or less daily, in a big city and out in the countryside, from commuting to the uni to riding long distances for fun. I'm 195 cm high, and weigh about around 70 kilos. Right now I am looking at three bikes, none of which are the typical Trek 1000 / Giant OCR crowd, which is why I bother asking :) Oh yeah, I have 750 - 850$ for this purchase. I tried the wrench bike fit calculator, and it suggested I get a bike with : 64-65 cm frame size (center-center), and 68 cm reach (which would be a 58-60 cm long top tube).

Bike number one:

It would be built around this oldish steel frame by a friendly, not-so Local Bike Shop.

Since the frame costs 300$, I should be able to get it decently equipped, I'll get a quote on what he can build on it on friday. The frame size is ~62 cm (this is probably center to center, but I'm not sure), and has a 59 cm long top tube.

Bike number Two:

A used alu-framed Corratech bike, in a bike shop that is closer (750$). The nice thing about this is that it is fully equipped with Ultegra gear, even the non-obvious parts. The fit seems good (tried it out allready), if a bit on the smallish side (the frame is 62 cm center to top; 59 cm long top tube). The bike looks very well cared for, and is 4-5 years old. Would a 2-4 year old (it was a later addition to the bike), lightly used Ultegra set be better than something like a new or year old Tiagra? Also, how much of a hazard do you guys think buying a used alu frame would be?

Bike number Three:

Yet another option would be getting this other frame at the shop I first mentioned, and go rock-bottom with all the accesories (I'd have ~175$ left over for them), upgrading them as I go along.

The frame is made of Titanium, and is a Moser. The dimensions are the same, 62cm C-T and 59 cm top. It has sublime worksmanship, some closeups are very mouth-watering.

Well? Should I go for the old school bike with a tiagra or 105 set, the used one with full Ultegra or the best (Ti) frame and worse components?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Poof. I went down to the LBS today. The Ti Frame was sold already, but I got a very nice deal with the pinarello. I'm paying 850$ for that frame with a full 9 speed, 1 year old, 0 km Ultegra set. :) With some nice moser wheels... Man. Helpful and cool dude.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.