Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am just about to get back into riding. It's been a few years and a few pounds
since I last rode. I stopped because of an injury but I am now all good to go. The problem is there are so so many amazing bikes on the market and I just haven't kept up with the times. I am after something that will be comfortable over long rides, is a good mountain climber when I need it to be and well can also get up a nice amount of speed when needed. I like the tcr's and cervelo's r3, but I just don't know. I am not worried about the money, but if I don't have to spend it all good. I would like to keep it under $7000 though. Please help me select the right bike!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
hard to go wrong in that price range

just go test ride a bunch and figure out what feels the best for you

·
Registered
7 Posts
if you have $7k to spend, you dont need advice from people here as you can pretty much get any bike you want. Go ride a bunch and pick the one that feels the best.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Are you yankin' our chains? Find a good bike shop, walk in and tell them you'd like to "keep it under $7000." They will treat you like royalty, set up a perfect fit, and let you test ride to your heart's content. For that $ you could get a frame custom-made to your proportions and fit it with top-notch components.

You're just trying to make us all feel bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Not what I meant

I would like to keep as cheap as possible. Bikes are more expensive in Australia as well. If a defy 1 is the most comfortable then let me know. Are road bikes more comfortable on long rides or tri bikes like the trinity?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sweetride said:
I would like to keep as cheap as possible. Bikes are more expensive in Australia as well. If a defy 1 is the most comfortable then let me know. Are road bikes more comfortable on long rides or tri bikes like the trinity?
Don't think you want a tri setup if you're looking for comfort. The defy comment isn't half bad. Comfy, in my book that is.

I agree with the advice of go try a couple at your lbs and pick the one you like the most. Most manufacturers will have bikes with touring and racing geometries so I think you'll find something you like. I don't think you'll have to come close to spending $7000 to get a wicked setup, even in oz.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm sure at that price range, everything is going to feel pretty similar, might just be based on minor details that helps to fit you the best and what you think looks the nicest. But with that kind of money I don't think I would get something that isn't Italian.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
If you have that much to spend, buy something made for you by someone you can speak to. Not something factory made in China.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Agree. I don't know the frame builder situation in Australia, but I'd look into a custom frame if I were shopping in that price area.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Sweetride said:
Ok so I am just about to get back into riding. It's been a few years and a few pounds
since I last rode................ I am after something that will be comfortable over long rides, is a good mountain climber when I need it to be and well can also get up a nice amount of speed when needed.!

Well with those needs, you should include any of the "relaxed geometry" bikes in your search: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse Carbon, Giant Defy Advanced 3, Scott CR1 Comp, Look 566, Felt Z series, etc....taller head tubes for less strain on backs/necks, smooth-riding carbon frames, high performance.

·
Registered
658 Posts
hrmmmm?

Sweetride said:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=3008936#post3008936

1. what is wrong with your Giant?
ii. You ask if road bikes are more comfy on long rides.. Have you not ridden above mentioned bike?
c. If you have a bike, ride it. Save your money you have. Then in the future if you want to upgrade you will be in the position to buy something really nice. That Giant should have decent enough components to get you riding.
IV. are you yanking our chains?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts