Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Both are comparable in specs. The Scat has a carbon fork, but that shouldn't sway you. If you're newer to road cycling, I'd say save the money, as if you fall in love with it, you'll buy a new bike later anyway.
You can also do the best thing: ride both and see if one feels better for you. If you can't decide with that, the buy the one that looks better or priced better.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Of those two I'd get the Scat. 2303 Triple chainrings, carbon fork and aux brake levers.
The Fuji has an alloy fork and 7-speed cassette.

·
9,790 Posts
They're both Performance crap. I would have to be rendered stupid before I would consider either.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
You can go to Bikes Direct and get two slightly better choices for less money, like the Schwinn Le Tour Sport, or the GTR Series 4, both are $599.95 including shipping. But of the two your looking at, I would be probably inclined to go with the Fuji even though it's only a 7 speed rear. I wouldn't trust my arse on any bike equipped with a cheap generic Chinese made carbon fork but that's just me!

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
what's wierd about the Scattante is it has a Sora... but an older one.

the current 2013 Sora (3500) is a 9-speed

·
9,790 Posts
You can go to Bikes Direct and get two slightly better choices for less money, like the Schwinn Le Tour Sport, or the GTR Series 4, both are $599.95 including shipping. But of the two your looking at, I would be probably inclined to go with the Fuji even though it's only a 7 speed rear. I wouldn't trust my arse on any bike equipped with a cheap generic Chinese made carbon fork but that's just me!
I actually agree with the first part. I'd rather own a BD bike than a Scat-bike or a Fuji (which IS a BD bike, but more expensive).

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
There is a lot of confusion in this thread.

The Scat bike is $500, the Fuji $580.

The Scat has Shimano 2303 8-speed components. That is the level below Sora.
The Fuji has Shimano A070 7-speed components that I've never heard of before. Must be new, or really old.

My new bike came with aux brake levers and I really like them because I'm never far from the brakes. They're great when I'm riding on the tops in traffic in the city. They only add 94g.

It doesn't hurt for a new guy to have triple chainrings.

Aux brake levers are a great idea in the city because you can sit upright and still get to the brakes instantly.

Most alloy forks are stiffer than any other; steel, carbon or Ti. The one I had years ago would rattle my teeth, I hated it.
I would trust the Scat carbon fork because it is a brand name with a warranty, just like I'd trust a big 3 entry-level carbon fork.

A lot of people here like to give opinion without any facts or data or reasoning to back it up. I try not to do that.

·
9,790 Posts
There is a lot of confusion in this thread.

The Scat bike is $500, the Fuji $580.

The Scat has Shimano 2303 8-speed components. That is the level below Sora.
The Fuji has Shimano A070 7-speed components that I've never heard of before. Must be new, or really old.

My new bike came with aux brake levers and I really like them because I'm never far from the brakes. They're great when I'm riding on the tops in traffic in the city. They only add 94g.

It doesn't hurt for a new guy to have triple chainrings.

Aux brake levers are a great idea in the city because you can sit upright and still get to the brakes instantly.

Most alloy forks are stiffer than any other; steel, carbon or Ti. The one I had years ago would rattle my teeth, I hated it.
I would trust the Scat carbon fork because it is a brand name with a warranty, just like I'd trust a big 3 entry-level carbon fork.

A lot of people here like to give opinion without any facts or data or reasoning to back it up. I try not to do that.
A070 is the new Shimano Tourney 7 speed road group. Basically, black 2300-ish STIs with cheapie derailleurs and a cheapie crank. It works fine, for a cheap group. The STIs are $120, the crank is $50, the derailleurs are around $40 total for both.

Cross-top brake levers are the work of Satan. I assume that anyone who has them on their bike is to be avoided on the road, as they are probably a n00b and don't know how to handle a bike. They make the primary brakes feel like crap after a while, unless you replace the brake cables every 6 months to a year.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Cross-top brake levers are the work of Satan. I assume that anyone who has them on their bike is to be avoided on the road, as they are probably a n00b and don't know how to handle a bike. They make the primary brakes feel like crap after a while, unless you replace the brake cables every 6 months to a year.
So every single person in the world who has those cross levers is a noob and doesn't know how to handle a bike?? Just that one thing and all our years of experience riding goes out the window? OK, I guess you set us straight there!

When I ride in traffic around town I like to ride upright on the tops. Drivers can see me better and I'm constantly scanning for idiots trying to snuff me by opening their doors or cutting me off or pulling in front of me. I guess I'm just paranoid that way, but not paranoid enough to not do it.

And you're saying that those levers wear out the cables so that they need replacing every 6 months or year? OK, I'll do that, but I haven't had to do that yet.

These aren't the suicide levers from the '80s. As a shop owner you've seen them and you know they work. On my Trek with discs I can stop in one helluva hurry with just two fingers on the levers, how is that a bad thing???

What's behind your hateful response here?? Is this an old-skool thing or what?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
They're both Performance crap. I would have to be rendered stupid before I would consider either.
Dammit Platy! how many times have I told you to stop beating around the bush & just come right out & say what you feel. Sigh...I guess you'll never learn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.