Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background first - she is 5-6 with just under a 30" inseam, and weighs 125lbs. She frequently finishes in the top 5 in the swim and run, but will finish about 50th in the bike leg (due in part to her 1991 hybrid which she pedals with the toe clips flipped upside-down).

She is adamant against a dedicated Triathlon/Time Trial bike, because she wants only one bike for training, club rides, as well as Tri.

We certainly plan to test ride a few of the bikes available in our area, but a couple of the following may very well not be available to test. We would like some input on the following options:

Specialized S-Works E5 - Aluminum 52cm

Cervelo Soloist - Aluminum 51cm

Trek 5500 - Carbon 52cm

Giant TCR - Carbon Size (S)

Klein Q Pro - Aluminum/Carbon 49cm (52 TT)

Figuring on a typical Ultegra build kit with a decent set of wheels (Bontrager Race Lite, or something similar).

Would like some input on these frames from a "lighter" rider who has had a chance to ride some of these. Any other recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i'm not light but started cycling for triathlons

now i pretty much just ride, but i did 2 ironmans and such so have lots of time in the saddle both as road rides and tri position.
my sage advice--if she is good and wants to compete as an age group winner/qualifier for ironman hawaii or such get a dedicated tri bike--the most aero and ligthest you can afford.

if not then my vote is the tcr--it was my first tri/road bike after finally giving up on nishiki from high school. the compact geometry makes it easy to ride it as road or tri. you can dial in position with different stems and posts if just adjusting the saddle and clip ons does not accomodate the 2 different positions--it is often hard to have both a good aero position and a good road position without changing the setup--but you might get lucky.

check out bike position info at www.slowtwitch.com

good luck
jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.