Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
Sorry to add yet another “which bike” thread, but I’ve done my research and have some questions. So I’ve talked myself into the idea that I need a fixie. My intention is to use it for road bike training, commuting, and general errands. There are times I just want to roll down to the store and not take a carbon fiber road bike that I have to worry about….
So my challenge is the more I read, the more info a find and the more confused the whole thing becomes. Here are the bikes that are on my list:
Giant:
• Bowery
Felt
• Dispatch
• Breed
Specialized:
• Langster
• Tricross Singlecross
IRO
• Urban Traffic
Surly:
• Steam Roller
Am I missing others?
So about me: 5’10”, 190 lbs.
Commute is 15 miles each way along the Burke Gilman and Samm River Trail. A few hills, but nothing major.
Budget: 1000 or less. I’d like it to be 700 ish but if there was a good reason to spend 1000, I’d likely sneak it pass my wife.
I really like the idea of an all black IRO urban traffic. So that is my default choice, but I’ve recently discovered the Giant and Felt choices and the Tricross single… The idea of a fixed gear/or single spead cross bike moded to fixed sounds like a interesting one.

So I’m new to this whole fixed gear thing and eager to learn. So any opinions would be appreciated.

Damien

·
Registered
420 Posts
The Bowery just felt cheap to me. Haven't tried any of the Felt brands.

Do you want an aluminum or steel bike? I like the Langsters and also Cannondale Capo's for aluminum. They can be built SUPER light.

For steel, I really like the Surly's, because you can fit BIG tires on them. Not that I'd be running 38's all the time (the max size is 38), but I'd like the option.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
assuming you are normally proportioned, most of those bikes will prob fit when properly sized or can be tweaked to. so I would look at it this way to narrow your choices- do you want a cx or road bike? and/or do you prefer steel or alu? then consider if you want/need a flip-flop hub. and of course, which one looks best

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
From your list, I would go with Surly Steamroller.
John

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
If you're in Seattle like your name suggests you can narrow the list greatly by eliminating any that do not have room to mount full fenders. Then eliminate any without mounting for a rear brake. After that, I'd lean toward steel.

·
Registered
867 Posts
PdxMark makes a very valid point. Another bike that may fit the bill is the Kona Paddywagon. Steel, room for fenders and it has fender mounts so no P clips needed. I have the Kona but if I had to do it all over again I think the Surly would be at the top of my list. I just looked at one again and they had it set up with wooden fenders and it looked great.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Spammish -- Raleigh One-Way!

Yes, I work here at Raleigh.

But, c'mon, it's your local Seattle-based bike company! Even if we don't weld 'em up in Kent any more, the One-Way is a nice piece of steel -- flip flop fixed / free, canti brakes, clearance for big tires, full fenders, rack mounts, road bike geometry.

It was made for you, man.

(( The Rush Hour is our fixed-only, track-bar, brakes-cause-of-the-law bike))

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Argentius said:
But, c'mon, it's your local Seattle-based bike company! Even if we don't weld 'em up in Kent any more, the One-Way is a nice piece of steel -- flip flop fixed / free, canti brakes, clearance for big tires, full fenders, rack mounts, road bike geometry.
Wow.. with a Brooks saddle and a bell and fenders and even a frame pump included!? That's what I'd get for off-the-rack value...

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Yep. I tried the B-17 for a while and ended up trading it out for a Swift, but, this Brooks thing is stylin' and comfy.

We picked the "pre-aged" version of the B-17 on the One-Way, too, so you don't have to worry so much about getting it wet...

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Argentius said:
Yep. I tried the B-17 for a while and ended up trading it out for a Swift, but, this Brooks thing is stylin' and comfy.

We picked the "pre-aged" version of the B-17 on the One-Way, too, so you don't have to worry so much about getting it wet...
I have a Swift and a Team Pro and a B-68 on my Breezer, and I used to have a B-17N. I think I like the Team Pro over the Swift these days... How does the pre-aged help with getting wet? Of course, fenders are a huge help for Brooks saddles in the wet. A plastic bag whenever parked out in the rain and you're good...

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Pre-aged seems to me sorta like distressed jeans, it does not have a shiny "shoe polish" finish to get ruined by water, it already looks well "broken in."

Agree on the fenders and plastic bags, though.

Then again, you also have a Vanilla. (jealousy, etc.)

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Argentius said:
Pre-aged seems to me sorta like distressed jeans, it does not have a shiny "shoe polish" finish to get ruined by water, it already looks well "broken in."

Agree on the fenders and plastic bags, though.

Then again, you also have a Vanilla. (jealousy, etc.)
Hmm... I would have thought the glossy finish of a regular B-17 would show water less than the softer finish of the pre-aged... The Swift is on the Vanilla with full wood fenders that I re-finished last Fall.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Argentius said:
Yes, I work here at Raleigh.

It was made for you, man.

(( The Rush Hour is our fixed-only, track-bar, brakes-cause-of-the-law bike))
Absolutely! The One Way is a very cool bike.
Any chance a geared or gear ready version is in the pipeline?

·
Registered
106 Posts
If I lived in a rainy climate, the One Way would look like a sweet option.

BTW - does anyone else use a shower cap in their bike bag to put over their Brooks in the rain? I've only had to use it a few times. I live in San Diego and usually take out a beater bike when rain is in the forecast, if I take any bike out at all.

How does a Brooks hold up when it gets wet?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Argentius said:

I thought rain + uncovered brooks was a recipe for ruined brooks... what's so special about the pre-aged that it could weather the storm?

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
GeoKrpan said:
Absolutely! The One Way is a very cool bike.
Any chance a geared or gear ready version is in the pipeline?
I'm riding one now. It's called the Clubman.

I've done a more detailed review if you want to have a look.

http://argentius.blogspot.com/2009/02/raleigh-clubman-initial-review-i-picked.html

You can ignore some of those whacky OEM parts, but the frame DOES have a slightly sloping top tube, compared with the straight one for the One-Way. That's not the way I'd have designed it, but I still like it a lot.

Next year it's getting some extra goodies like color-matched fenders.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts