Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know this seems like another "What bike...." question but I would really appreciate your feedback.

I am 3 years into cycling with MTB. Lately I have started cycling on the road to improve my
performance. I have fitted to my old GT avalanche a pair of Contis Sport Contact 1.6 and I am doing about 150km/ week. My longest ride so far was 100km with an average speed of 27 km/h in a sea side road with some hills.

I have done a lot of research on line about road bikes and I think I know where to look.
Today I rode my bike to a near by LBS (25km) and tested ( aspin around the corner) an Orbea Onix Giro and a Madone 4.5, both 54.

I felt the Madone a bit cramped but I couldn't spot any obvious differences. I also didn't notice a huge difference compared to my mountain bike! Steering was a bit strange but I expected to have a much faster acceleration on a road bike.....Bumps from the road seemed to be absorbed.

Anyway I don't have the chance to ride the other bikes on my short list so I would like you to tell me your opinion on these bikes for long rides and training.

1) Orbea Onix tour (8.7 kg, complete)
2) Specialized tarmac expert
3) Bianchi 928 Mono-Q centaur

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have no experience with the Orbea or Bianchi, but my brother and Dad both have Tarmac Experts. They're pretty nice rides, though not particularly lightweight with the 105 group (~18.5lbs for a 59cm). The only complaint is the stock wheels on theirs (shimano rs-10, I think) are not particularly durable and take odd-sized spokes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.