Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm buying a new giant 2017 TCR SL O complete with all Dura ace components except for the wheel set, which is there own SLR O carbon tubeless wheelset, any thoughts about swapping them to a Dura ace C 40 set, or just keeping the giant ones(I haven't been able to find any reviews on the giant wheels , except there own advertising)

thanks for any help you can give !

Paul

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,445 Posts
Hi, I'm buying a new giant 2017 TCR SL O complete with all Dura ace components except for the wheel set, which is there own SLR O carbon tubeless wheelset, any thoughts about swapping them to a Dura ace C 40 set, or just keeping the giant ones(I haven't been able to find any reviews on the giant wheels , except there own advertising)

thanks for any help you can give !

Paul
My question would be, how much is your shop charging for this wheel swap?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Like Lombard asked about, I would say it depends on how much they charge you. I'm sure Giant's house brand wheels are pretty good, most big name brands have house wheels that are great for most people- like Roval or Bontrager Aeolus wheels. Unless they are doing an even swap or a very cheap upcharge, I would say ride the ones that come on it and upgrade to your ideal wheel set later. If nothing else, the stock wheels will make excellent backup wheels.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't own anything Giant but they are a big player in the bike world and I'd have some faith they picked a solid carbon wheelset. If they thought warranty issues you'd see aluminum wheels.

I was skeptical of some carbon wheels but trusted my wheel builder (Mike Curiak). 4 sets later I just shut up and go with it. My first set is a carbon 29er all mountain rig...im as Clyde and run 19 to 22 psi and I ride all rock.

Road set is awesome. I now trust in Derby and Nox wheels. Might just be the builder. I'd try the stock carbon first and see how it feels.

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help guys, the change over price is $300.00.
I'm getting a pretty good deal on the bike, so I don't paying for (the upgrade ??)The guy in the shop doesn't believe it is an upgrade, and says that the giant wheel set is very good. I've had a good run out of c24 in both 7900 and 9000 dura ace.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,445 Posts
$300 to upgrade to C40 DA? Sounds like a great deal to me.

I'll say. I tend to avoid both carbon and any low spoke count wheels for myself. However, I generally trust Shimano products. For $300 more, I would go for the swap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts