Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 9-speed Campy bike I use for commuting. I like the Campy stuff, but it is very finicky for commuting. I know Shimano is more tolerant of dirt and the like. That being said, I have most of the parts to convert it from Campy 9-speed to Shimano 9-speed. Could I use a Sram chain, the Campy cranks and front dérailleur, and change everything else over to Shimano? Would the Campy Veloce front dérailleur (triple) work with a Shimano Ultegra shifter?

I know this will be kind of a frankenbike when I am done, but as long as it works I don't care. Would this work? Inquiring minds want to know. Will the cycling gods smite me for this heresy?

Proposed build:

Shimano Ultegra Shifters
Campy Veloce Triple Crank
Campy Veloce Triple Front Derailleur
Shimano Deore Rear Derailleur (I want to be able to run a big casette for touring)
Shimano 105 Rear Hub and Sram Casette

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
I like the Campy stuff, but it is very finicky for commuting. I know Shimano is more tolerant of dirt and the like.
I reject your premise. Campy works fine for commuting and is far less finicky than Shimano IMO.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I've never had problems with dirt on my Campy stuff.

Why not just keep the chain cleanish?

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I have a 9-speed Campy bike I use for commuting. I like the Campy stuff, but it is very finicky for commuting. I know Shimano is more tolerant of dirt and the like. That being said, I have most of the parts to convert it from Campy 9-speed to Shimano 9-speed. Could I use a Sram chain, the Campy cranks and front dérailleur, and change everything else over to Shimano? Would the Campy Veloce front dérailleur (triple) work with a Shimano Ultegra shifter?

I know this will be kind of a frankenbike when I am done, but as long as it works I don't care. Would this work? Inquiring minds want to know. Will the cycling gods smite me for this heresy?

I use campy 9 for my commute. I have nine speed chorus FD, RD, and ergo levers. The RD has had a crack near one of the pins for about five years now. I use a 1995 vintage dura ace crankset with 39/48 rings, usually have shimano hubbed wheels with a SRAM 9 cassette and chain. It is a cross bike so it has avid canti's. I haven't had any issues with my campy nine in my commutes in Hawaii and the PNW. I have used the bike in some pretty epic weather that has eaten up bottom brackets, brake pads, pedals, and chains. The only constant has been the campy drivetrain.

You setup looks like it would work. Tullio probably won't haunt your dreams for doing it.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Pablo said:
I've never had problems with dirt on my Campy stuff.

Why not just keep the chain cleanish?
All I do is use Prolink and wipe with a rag after each ride.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I'm pretty similar, although I might wipe the drivetrain more to get grease buildup off.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Pablo said:
I'm pretty similar, although I might wipe the drivetrain more to get grease buildup off.
I do a complete clean a few times a year or if I ride in the rain, but mostly it's just a quick wipedown.

· banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
I don't. The question isn't about my admittedly poor maintinence, but about if the setup will work.:D

I know if I keep it cleaner it will work better. If I quit using White Lightning it would probably keep the rear drerailleur from getting gummed up, but Prolink just seems to be a sand magnet in Arizona, and chains wear out at an alarming rate.

I really like the shifting on the Campy bike. But I have to build another new rear wheel anyway (long story) and I am going to at least 36 spokes, so I have to get a new hub.

The bottom line is that although I would like to have Campy Record or something similar on my other bike, I think Shimano is a more practical choice for me, and for the conditions I ride in.

Sounds like it is worth a try anyway.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
I don't. The question isn't about my admittedly poor maintinence, but about if the setup will work.:D

I know if I keep it cleaner it will work better. If I quit using White Lightning it would probably keep the rear drerailleur from getting gummed up, but Prolink just seems to be a sand magnet in Arizona, and chains wear out at an alarming rate.

I really like the shifting on the Campy bike. But I have to build another new rear wheel anyway (long story) and I am going to at least 36 spokes, so I have to get a new hub.

The bottom line is that although I would like to have Campy Record or something similar on my other bike, I think Shimano is a more practical choice for me, and for the conditions I ride in.

Sounds like it is worth a try anyway.
The Prolink seems to be more of a magnet, but in real life I've found it keeps the rollers (where it counts) cleaner than something like WL. I hate the way white lightining gives you that waxy buildup which seems impossible to get off the chain. Used to use WL on my mountain bikes, but anymore I just use PL on all my bikes. In any event, I think either group is going to give you problems if you never maintain it.

· banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
The Prolink seems to be more of a magnet, but in real life I've found it keeps the rollers (where it counts) cleaner than something like WL. I hate the way white lightining gives you that waxy buildup which seems impossible to get off the chain. Used to use WL on my mountain bikes, but anymore I just use PL on all my bikes. In any event, I think either group is going to give you problems if you never maintain it.
Agreed about the maintinence. I wipe it down and re-lube the chain bi-weekly or so, but I don't do it every day. I do an almost complete tear-down and re-lube everything at least once a year as well. I don't completely abuse my bike, I just don't wipe the chain down every time it enters the garage.

I also agree about the waxy buildup from the WL. Any suggestions of something between WL and Prolink?

Thanks for the help, by the way.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I also agree about the waxy buildup from the WL. Any suggestions of something between WL and Prolink?
Arizona probably has a pretty similar climate (dry and often dusty) to Colorado, where BJ and I live. I use ProLink on my track, road, and mountain bikes. WL sucks pelotas.

I think the trick is to apply ProLink, un it through a few times, wait a bit (like overnight if possible), and then wipe the chain off with a dry rag. Any chain is going to get dirty.

· Registered
507 Posts
I don't see a problem - (and I am campy only, myself) - I understand being economical! Suggestion though: I started using 3 parts mineral spirits to 1 part 5W30 for chain lube and it is economical, too, and works well.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
RoyIII said:
I don't see a problem - (and I am campy only, myself) - I understand being economical! Suggestion though: I started using 3 parts mineral spirits to 1 part 5W30 for chain lube and it is economical, too, and works well.
That's pretty much what PL is as far as I can tell. I'm just too lazy to mix up my own. Maybe PL adds some "magic" ingredient that makes it better, but I doubt it. :D

· Registered
264 Posts

I know if I keep it cleaner it will work better. If I quit using White Lightning it would probably keep the rear drerailleur from getting gummed up, .....

White Lighting - waxy buildup and poor shifting. That sounds like the majority of your problems.

· Registered
3,096 Posts
By the way, part of my wanting to do this is that my Mirage shifters are pretty much worn out, and I have to replace them anyway. I have a spare pair of Ultegras sitting around.
I'm a Campy guy myself, but that would be the kicker. You've got the shifters, sounds like you need a new back wheel anyway, so the big outlay would be a relatively inexpensive derailleur.

And if the cassette, rear derailleur and shifters "match", the rest of the drivetrain really doesn't care.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
The best parts for a commuter are the ones you just have lying around, or can get cheap or free. Now if you are talking about using shimano parts on a fine Italian handmade frameset, that's a different story. But a commuter? Go for it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.