Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
a$$hole
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm new to road cycling. I'm looking to upgrade my stock Shimano RS-10's. They weight 1884g. From what I've read, it looks like Neuvation's clincher wheels are a great option for upgrade. I weight 165-170...usually I stay around 165/166lbs. I'm riding an average of 100 miles per week right now. I like the idea of the weight savings with the R28 SL5's which would give me 0.86 pounds of weight savings over my current wheels, but will they hold up with my weight? Or should I opt for the R28 Aero 4's, which would only give me 0.58 pounds savings?

I'm looking for WEIGHT SAVINGS and WHEELS THAT STAY TRUE at a GREAT PRICE POINT (I haven't learned to true wheels yet). Durability is also an issue. I realize the durability is affected by many things, mileage, quality of the components, rider weight, etc. I'm trying to find the best balance with what I'm looking for. Being new to road, I don't have much of a reference point or experience to help me decide.

I have read a few people who say the bladed spokes on the R28 Aero's cause the bike to feel a little twitchy in the wind. On the other hand, I'm afraid the SL5's might not support my weight very well. I wish I was 145 pounds, but my body type is just not capable of being that small.

Is there any really good reason to go with the Aero4's since it would only save me 1/2 a pound over the stock shimano rs-10's? If it matters I'm riding on a Specialized Tarmac Comp.

I thought maybe you guys could help me choose if I gave you a bit of info about myself and what I'm looking for.

It's really nice to be here. I've been searching through the forums for several weeks now. It's a great site you guys have.

Chris

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
If I'm remembering the specs on the rs10s you already have, they are already a pretty aero wheel-low spoke count, bladed etc. To get a set that has different ride characteristics it sounds like the sl5s would be the best option. I don't think your weight at 165 is a problem. A well made set of wheels in the 1500 gram range like the sl5s should be plenty strong for training. Also at the sale prices neuvation has right now its a great price.

·
a$$hole
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stevesbike said:
If I'm remembering the specs on the rs10s you already have, they are already a pretty aero wheel-low spoke count, bladed etc. To get a set that has different ride characteristics it sounds like the sl5s would be the best option. I don't think your weight at 165 is a problem. A well made set of wheels in the 1500 gram range like the sl5s should be plenty strong for training. Also at the sale prices neuvation has right now its a great price.
Thanks a lot. I appreciate the response. My biggest concern was my weight at 165 on the SL5's. If I were 20 pounds lighter I wouldn't have thought twice about it...

Just wanted some opinions about my weight and the SL5's...

·
a$$hole
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PigmyRacer said:
All of John's Al wheels are pretty solid and you aren't that heavy.
I actually emailed him today and his response was "You would probably be OK with the SL5’s but if durability is more of an issue the R28 Aero4’s are a stronger wheel."

It was kind of a vague answer, but I understand his response from a business perspective. I figured I would post up here and hopefully get some opinions from Neuvation owners, or atleast guys much more experienced than myself.

I have read a few people say they could feel the SL5's flex a bit and felt like the Aero's were stiffer. I have no idea how much the rider's weigh. I'll probably just go ahead and get the SL5's...it will drop almost a pound of rolling weight from my current wheels....

165 pounds...I feel like I'm HUGE....I would kill to be 145lbs...

·
Registered
638 Posts
I had the same issue and went with aeros from neuvation. The aero benefeits seem to be better than taking the extra few grams off. Either way theyre great wheels and look sweeeeeeeeet once you get the decals off.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
B15serv said:
I had the same issue and went with aeros from neuvation. The aero benefeits seem to be better than taking the extra few grams off. Either way theyre great wheels and look sweeeeeeeeet once you get the decals off.
Agree with aero & stronger spokes over saving a few grams. But I'm too lazy to remove the decals on my aero4's ;)

·
a$$hole
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oldteen said:
Agree with aero & stronger spokes over saving a few grams. But I'm too lazy to remove the decals on my aero4's ;)
Maybe it's because I'm such a new road rider, but I don't see what's so bad about the Neuvation stickers....

...unless it's b/c they don't say Rolf, DT Swiss, Mavic, etc...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Give John Neugent a call!

If you are not sure, call Neuvation. John will answer and give you good advice on his wheels. He will probably ask you a few questions about yourself, the type of riding you do etc. that you didn't tell him in your email.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a set of the aero3s and they have held up very nicely. I weight 160-165 and have had no problems. I have had them for a year now. the hubs rule, the spokes are strong and the rims are very strong. I haven't had to true them in many, many miles. get the aero's and a light tube...same weight, but more strenght.

and i'm thinking of removing stickers, those that have, please post pics!!!!

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I was looking at the two earlier - they're both the same rims. The extra weight has mostly to do with the hubs. Since it's the rolling weight, I'd pick the Aero 4's with the ceramic bearing upgrade - they will roll smoother for about the same price, and they will look better too!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Neuvation website has downloadable info on their wheels. http://www.neuvationcycling.com/wheels.html

According to this, the hubs are same (R-series) but the differences are spokes (bladed vs DB) and rims (440 vs 480g, both 27mm tall). Don't see any specifics on how ceramic bearings might change weight of the R-series hub, but I doubt it would be significant.

My aero4's were great earlier this month for my 1st RAIN (Ride Across INdiana- 160mi one day event). Have held up well on typical Midwest roads (chip-seal, etc.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.