Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a decent wheel upgrade for my 2008 Specialized Tarmac. The bike came with the Shimano RS10 wheels, which are a bit heavy. Recently, a friend let me borrow his 08 Ksyrium SLs and I like them very much. I've been reading through the threads here, and it seems like, for the price, one can do better than the ksyriums. I've read that excellent wheels with similar weight, aero and durability are the Easton EA90 SLx wheels. Recently I also learned about the Soul wheels. I like the look, weight, price and claimed durability of the 2.0 wheels.

It looks like the Easton wheels are well liked, durable, light and very affordable. The Soul wheels also seem to have great reviews, they weigh less, seem to be durable (at least the newer model 2.0s have been said to be more durable than previous year models), they're a little cheaper and, IMO, they look better than the Eastons.

My needs:

• Wheels need to be durable. I'm a big guy and don't see myself getting much below 200lbs - I'm at about 208 right now. I don't want to have to be truing wheels all the time (well, going to my LBS to have them true them)
  • I ride mostly on flat ground - we don't have many hills in Sacramento - but I sometimes go a little out of town for longer rides that have decent climbing.
  • I don't race much - I've only done one race on road and it was in a tri (I was on a team). I liked it quite a bit though, and might start riding in some local grass-root time trial stuff. I'm not going to wear one of those cool aero helmets or ride an aero bike, but a set of wheels decent for speeds in the 22-28mph+ range would be nice.
  • I don't want to spend much, if any, more than $500.

Criticism, advice on those two wheels or something else?

Thanks.

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
Lighter wheels will spin up faster, but that's about it. The Mavic's are strong and look very cool - two reasons for their popularity. If you want very strong, inexpensive, and smooth; look to something like the Mavic Open Pros with Dura Ace hubs. They won't look cool, but will address your needs. Get lighter tires and tubes if you want to reduce the rolling weight.
You can also get something like the Neuvation Aero 4's which are very strong and light. People who own them are happy and they report excellent customer service.

· Cpark
2,106 Posts
nachomc said:
I'm looking for a decent wheel upgrade for my 2008 Specialized Tarmac. The bike came with the Shimano RS10 wheels, which are a bit heavy. Recently, a friend let me borrow his 08 Ksyrium SLs and I like them very much. I've been reading through the threads here, and it seems like, for the price, one can do better than the ksyriums. I've read that excellent wheels with similar weight, aero and durability are the Easton EA90 SLx wheels. Recently I also learned about the Soul wheels. I like the look, weight, price and claimed durability of the 2.0 wheels.

It looks like the Easton wheels are well liked, durable, light and very affordable. The Soul wheels also seem to have great reviews, they weigh less, seem to be durable (at least the newer model 2.0s have been said to be more durable than previous year models), they're a little cheaper and, IMO, they look better than the Eastons.

My needs:

• Wheels need to be durable. I'm a big guy and don't see myself getting much below 200lbs - I'm at about 208 right now. I don't want to have to be truing wheels all the time (well, going to my LBS to have them true them)
  • I ride mostly on flat ground - we don't have many hills in Sacramento - but I sometimes go a little out of town for longer rides that have decent climbing.
  • I don't race much - I've only done one race on road and it was in a tri (I was on a team). I liked it quite a bit though, and might start riding in some local grass-root time trial stuff. I'm not going to wear one of those cool aero helmets or ride an aero bike, but a set of wheels decent for speeds in the 22-28mph+ range would be nice.

Thanks.
How about these?

http://spinlitecycling.com/specials.htm

· Registered
1,418 Posts
nachomc said:

My needs:

Thanks.
can't speak to the Souls, but I've put several thousand trouble free miles on a set of Easton Orion II's. They've been bomb-proof (never trued) and spin very, very well. If you're looking for some pre-builts, Easton's are a good value.

I weighed 210 when I bought my easton's last year, and they did fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.