Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 2012 Trek Madone 3.1. The wheels that are on it are the stock "Alloy hubs; Bontrager Approved alloy rims."

I have been unable to find a lot about these online other than most say they are Alex Rims. I don't know who makes the hubs. Anyway, money is limited at the moment and new wheels are not an option.

I do have a pair of Mavic Open Pro Ultegra 6600 wheels with around 10,000 miles on them on my old bike. I am going to sell that bike and I'm trying to decide whether to keep the Bontrager stock wheels or the Mavic OP Ultegra wheels. The Bontrager wheels are supposed to have around 2500 miles on them. What would you do?

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I had a set of 32h OP / Ultegra 6600 wheels...

put over 20K miles on them. they were decent...not featherweight light, but strong and reliable.

I'd keep those.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
I would keep the Open Pro/Ultegra wheels and sell the Bontragers for a few reasons:

1) While Open Pro rims have a reputation for spoke hole cracks, many people have had a good long service life with them. If your Open Pros are laced to Ultegra hubs, they are at least 32 spoke wheels. I'm guessing most the problems with Open Pros are with lower spoke count wheels. I'm thinking these have plenty of life left.

2) Bontrager wheels have had their problems too. They are less likely to have problems than the notorious paired spoke wheels they used to make, but they aren't trouble-free either.

3) You will probably get more for a bike with 2500 mile wheels than a bike with 10,000 mile wheels. I am just assuming you will be honest and straight forward disclosing this.

When you are able to buy new wheels, these are a great bang for the buck:

Shimano Ultegra 6800 Tubeless Wheelset > Components > Wheels > Road Wheels | Jenson USA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts