Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pinched nerve in my neck, and riding my Specialized Roubaix just makes it worse. I normally ride 3x a week, about 80 to 110 mi a week, and I just don't think I can do this anymore. I have a very short stem, at the highest angle, and my handle bars tilted up.

I just need to ride in a more upright position. So adding flat bars isn't going to help.

So I need a 'cruiser' but I need something I can put pedals, road tires, etc. on. I am not looking to cruise, I would like to ride. I know I won't go as fast, but I ride by time, so instead of averaging 17 mph, I will do 14.

I recently rode on a friends bike, just riding around the neighborhood, something I haven't done in a long time. No bike computer, heart rate monitor, and it was fun! But I do like the excercise.

Hoping someone else on the forum has looked at this issue and might be able to recommend bikes that I could ride on.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Rigid fork mountain bike with narrow road tires? MTBs generally have higher bars than endurance road bikes. There's also some retro road bikes that have high bars, if that sort of thing appeals.

Long term perhaps you can find a physical therapist who understands athletes and is willing to work with you to improve your neck.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Sounds like you need the kind of geometry I have:

Mine was custom, but I'm sure there must be normal options as well.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I purchased a Trek hybrid a few years ago with the best of intentions. I had to give it away. Is there any chance you can keep your current bike and just play around with something like this:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased a Trek hybrid a few years ago with the best of intentions. I had to give it away. Is there any chance you can keep your current bike and just play around with something like this:

Wow. That might do the trick. Thanks. PT didn't help as much as a chiro who basically did massage, so I might try that.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,284 Posts
Does Rivendell still make bicycles?

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Bontrager, Rav-X and Ritchey all make high-rise stems that should get your bars at least level with your saddle if not higher. I'm sure others brands make them, too.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
i get a pinched neck nerve intermittently and it's no picnic.

in a certain position on a bike it's unbearable.

·
Registered
760 Posts
When I first saw your thread title I was going to say - hey, get a Roubaix!
i had to stop riding a few years ago because of neck issues, finally got back into it when I bought a Cannondale Synapse in 2009 and put a high rise stem on it. It does the job, got me back on the bike and over time slowly lowered the stem to the point where I put a normal one back on. Boight an S-Works Roubaix after that and have just slowly lowered and lengthened the stem little by little. I will never be long and low, but it's a little below seat height now and at least manageable for my neck most of the time.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I have had life-long neck issues. Mostly related to arthritis. I got lucky seeing a physical therapist who really knows his craft. He helped me restore the mobility in my neck and my hips (another unrelated issue) and have been back on an endurance geometry bike for a couple of years now.

I don't know what bike to suggest for you. Once the PT helped me restore the range of motion in my neck and I found I could ride again, I splurged and bought a nice BMC Gran Fondo. This his a high-stack bike, and I added to it by putting as many spacers as the fork would allow, and flipping the stem up. I rode it this way for the first summer I was back on the bike, and found that after two or three months, I was feeling a lot better. I lost a bunch of weight, and slowly was able to remove spacers, and eventually even flipped the stem down.

If you haven't seen a doctor to get a proper diagnosis, you might consider a Physiatrist. Once you know exactly what you are dealing with, find a physical therapist who will help you obtain your goals (mine asks me about my goals on a regular basis).

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
To play devil's advocate: How do you know an upright position is what you need? I'm not saying it isn't but unless you've tried it or gotten the advice from someone using medical information to determine that I would assume that's what you need.
More upright means more compression. Not necessarily good for back and neck issues.

I had an upper back 'thing' going on a couple of years ago and couldn't ride my very very upright city bike at all. But on my very aggressive road bike it was a non-issue.

Just make sure you don't do more harm than good here. Being more upright isn't always the answer to back and neck issues.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Jay's post is spot-on. Riders in pain often assume that "more upright" will alleviate the pain or even make it go away. However, you can't dismiss the possibility that your, quote, "very short stem, at the highest angle, and handle bars tilted up" has actually made things worse for you. You need to see someone who knows human anatomy and understands rider positioning.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
appreciate the advice and concern. Have been to an ortho who took xrays, and a chiro. Hopefully that is reasonable medical opinion. Besides having some scoliosis, I have narrowing of the channel that the nerves pass through. In a road bike position, when being bent over, you need to lift your head up to see in front of you, not down. This further narrows the channel for the nerves. Because of the scoliosis, my neck is turned a bit also, and that contributes. After riding yesterday, my left arm tingles sometimes. This doesn't happen often after trainer sessions, on the road I/you put much more pressure on the handlebars to steer of course.

It was suggested to ride more upright, and it makes sense.

I don't need a cyclo cross bike, I want something that I had shown in my post #4, trek verve, specialized has dolce, sirrus, they call them 'adventure bikes' but still not really upright. What I think I am looking for; call it an urban bike, general bike, etc. You sit much more upright. However, all these bikes have 35mm tires, you don't use cleats etc. I am not riding in the city, not riding on trails, but just want to ride the same rides sitting more upright.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

what do you call these stems, and where would i find them. I have never seen something like this. Are they really that adjustable.

My current bike has carbon fork , was told I can't put an extender/riser on this, though you can with metal forks. but i can change the stem.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
appreciate the advice and concern. Have been to an ortho who took xrays, and a chiro. Hopefully that is reasonable medical opinion.
The first one is.

what do you call these stems, and where would i find them. I have never seen something like this. Are they really that adjustable.

My current bike has carbon fork , was told I can't put an extender/riser on this, though you can with metal forks. but i can change the stem.
I just googled adjustable stem and those came up. I had never seen them before. I was looking for something else, but this is better that what I had in mind.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
It was suggested to ride more upright, and it makes sense.
Unfortunately, this is a very common suggestion made by people who have absolutely no experience or interest in riding a performance bike.

Look, no one is saying that upright riding is definitely causing your problem. But it might be helpful go beyond the intuitive and thus understandable "makes sense" reaction and gain some knowledge from an expert or from reading well-supported papers or articles. You could find out that "more upright" is indeed the solution for you. But don't bet on it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts