Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to have the rear dropouts on my Raleigh replaced. What should I look to pay for the repair? The dropouts themselves I can get from Nova (just regular Campy 1010b's or the columbus equiv. SRL's) for a decent price, just wondering what I should look to pay for the shop to do the work. Thanks.

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
It all depends on if the Drop outs are slotted, socketed (ie, looks like a lug brazed onto the tube.) or plug style. Since the 1010B's are slotted it's a bit harder to do than socketed ones but not impossible. If the bike shop doesn't have a set price, take a look at frame builders. They usually charge $100 for a fixed gear drop out conversion, that includes parts. Which anybody can get from www.HanryJames.com for $20. You want to make sure they don't just use flux coated brazing rod either, for proper penetration of brass they need to shove paste flux everywhere on and in the joint, something that can't be done with the afformantioned rod. If they need to buy flux a 1 pound can is about $14 but they can't realistically transfer that cost to you.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I'd offer around $90. You will have to get it painted your self to get a match though, but any good shop should at least put a coat of primer on it.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
daneil said:
So I need to have the rear dropouts on my Raleigh replaced. What should I look to pay for the repair? The dropouts themselves I can get from Nova (just regular Campy 1010b's or the columbus equiv. SRL's) for a decent price, just wondering what I should look to pay for the shop to do the work. Thanks.
If I were me, I'd call Bilenky in Philidelphia, 1-215-329-4744, and ask them who they would recommend to do the job in the NYC area (you're in Brooklyn, right?). Then call the guy they recommend and pay him whatever he asks. And I'm not being sexist here. When I meet a female frame-builder, I'll start inserting "him/her" into sentences like those above.

- Forbes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts