Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I started a build some many moons ago but never completed it and took up running instead, never really fun but got the job done.

Had some extra cash so I finally just got myself a Wilier Izoard frameset (being shipped) and got all these parts stored up in a bag, but I will need some help to putting it together.

I don't have access to a LBS so this will have to be a solo build maybe getting some help from locals here and there but mostly solo.

My gear is as follows, Campy Record 10 (2006/7) everything expect chain ring which is FSA compact using an ISIS English BB.

So some starter questions:

1. I have some general spare tools lying around but nothing really bike specific, without having to purchase one of those expensive tool kits what specific tools would be required to complete this build?

2. The frame has a headset already installed, is this good or would I have to remove it to make adjustments (noob question) and if so what tools would be required?

3. What special consideration so I me mindful of knowing this is my first build?

Thank you guys very much in advance, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
For starters you will need the proper bottom bracket tool to install the crank.

You have YouTube and park tools website to help install the parts.

A Allen key set should do the most of the following installs. Grease is your friend. If it has threads it gets grease.

You might need a speciality cable cutter, this will cut the der housing well, otherwise a motor tool with a cut off disk will do the job nicely.

Bill

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I'll add that you don't need to remove the headset to adjust it. Does this come as frame and fork with the fork installed? If so, you just need to check that the bearing preload is properly adjusted, and the headset should need no more attention.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
-Metric allen key set (Bondhus type is better)
-Bottom bracket tool for installing the bearing cups
-Cassette lockring tool
-Cable/housing cutters
-Metric open end wrenches, esp. a 15mm that fits your pedals
-A work stand, even a basic consumer model, will make this build and future adjustments infinitely easier
-12"+ level for your saddle
-tape measure
-patience

Have fun! All of us that work on our own bikes or others started in a similar way... making adjustments or tearing a bike down to build it back up again and figure out how it works. You'll find it to be incredibly rewarding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your wonderful responses.

A bike stand may be the most difficult (shipping and import duties may be a bit much) but I'll see what I can drag up on ebay.

It may be a few weeks before I can start the process but I'll try my best to post some pics.

If there's something missing feel free to add it in.

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll add that you don't need to remove the headset to adjust it. Does this come as frame and fork with the fork installed? If so, you just need to check that the bearing preload is properly adjusted, and the headset should need no more attention.
I think its coming with the fork already installed.

The second part about checking the "bearing preload" got me stumped. Can you explain this a bit further?

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.