Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite SL2 fitted with Sram's entry level Apex Compact. The bike is new to me. I'm up to about 400 miles since I bought and received it back on 4/16. I'm really loving it but a more refined group is in order.

I'm shopping around online looking at different group sets undecided between Sram or going to Shimano with Ultegra and I'm obviously going to need to know what my BB options are. I haven't yet pulled the cranks and dug further yet but I was hoping maybe someone in the know might be able to identify what I have now and once that BB is out, what the shell will accept.

Judging from the outward appearance, I'm assuming a BB30 won't go and I know it's not a PF30 so I'm wondering if a GXP BB with the external cups will thread in this shell?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
According to Specialized archives, OEM specs are SRAM S150 compact crankset and a TruVativ Power Spline Bottom Bracket.

The BB shell is a BSA standard (English) - 68mm width.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Copy that! Thanks! I could not find that on the archive. I just picked up on the power spline ID while surfing, as well.

I didn't know what to expect with the shell so I'm glad to see its the standard 68mm English. An external cup BB is a no brainer, then.

Now I need to decide whether I make the hop to Shimano or stick with Sram.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Copy that! Thanks! I could not find that on the archive. I just picked up on the power spline ID while surfing, as well.

I didn't know what to expect with the shell so I'm glad to see its the standard 68mm English. An external cup BB is a no brainer, then.

Some sources...

Archive info:
https://specialized.com/us/en/bike-archive/2011/roubaix/roubaixsl2elitec2apex/23463

Frame specs:
http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/new/assets/pdf/CC0280_2013_RevB.pdf

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that Frame Spec link. That's what I needed but didn't come across. That's golden and now bookmarked. Specialized recently made a radical change to their archive...and very much for the worse IMO. It used to be so much easier to source info but now it's cumbersome. JMHO

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Thanks for that Frame Spec link. That's what I needed but didn't come across. That's golden and now bookmarked. Specialized recently made a radical change to their archive...and very much for the worse IMO. It used to be so much easier to source info but now it's cumbersome. JMHO
You're welcome.

I agree with you not just on the change to archive searches, but also to Spec's recent website revamp. Not a step forward, IMO.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts

It's not a big deal either way but if you're talking about crankset here, shimano is the way to go. Although admittedly the information that formed my opinion might be outdated now. I can say for sure a new shimano crank will work/shift great. Whether sram front shifting still lags behind shimano I'm not certain.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting thoughts. I've been through the gamut of different build qualities of Sram drive train on my Mtn bikes, working up to their top of the line gear. Each step was a significant improvement over the prior. I thought I was good with the then XO gear till I went to build my current all carbon Stumpjumper Evo and had a chance to test an all XTR system. The Shimano XTR is insanely more precise, fast, and easier than any of the Sram components and more so on the front mech. Aside from my carbon crankset being Sram, everything else is XTR on my build and it's phenomenal.

I'm new to road and this is my first road bike since about 1982! I have no issue with Double Tap. I like it. I don't see any reason I could not fall right in with Shimano system, though. I haven't ridden one yet. Is the precision of shifting between the to companies as night and day as my mtb experience considering Sram's upper level gear?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts