Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me identify the model of this Merlin that I recently purchased? I'll preempt comments on not knowing the model before purchasing by saying that I've always dreamed of owning a Merlin and this one happened to be exactly my size and the right price.

Thanks in advance for you help.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I saw this one on ebay. Since it has an English bottom bracket, aluminum fork, normal seat stays, high cable guides, "M" and "E" as one letter and "Titanium" rather than "Extralight", I'd say it's just the standard road model with straight gauge tubing, circa '93 or '94. Tom Kellogg geometry, this model had been around for several years and was pretty well refined by this point. It can't be any earlier because those had pressed in BBs.

Congratulations on your VERY nice frame - I think you'll be quite happy with it. What do you plan to do with it? The aluminum fork isn't terrible, but you can find decent deals on light, threadless carbon.

You can also refinish the frame to brushed Ti if you wish to and have the elbow grease to spare. I think decals are available. If you want to do something to it, but not go too far, you could strip and brush the back half, leaving the decals and rest of the paint alone. Serotta and Lynskey paint their bikes like that.

I love my '90s era Extralight.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rx

Thanks for the response and for your suggestions. I'm stoked to have picked up a Merlin. The seller also threw in a Chris King headset, no charge, when he shipped the frame. Sweet deal. I will upgrade the fork in time but will leave the frame as is for now. My wife's got a little bike spending fatigue right now as this is my second purchase this year (purchased a Dean earlier in the year).

I'm going to turn this Merlin into a regular commuter/rain bike so it will get a lot of use. The Dean is for the dry days and this baby will be for the rain and funky weather. I live in the suburbs of Vancouver, BC so we have lots of wet weather days.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Cool. I like having multiple bikes to screw around with componentry. Don't be afraid of friction downtube shifters and old school deraileurs on your commuter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts