Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a commuter bike to get into the city daily, about 30 miles round trip. I need something that is fast and will be able to handle the rain and icy roads in winter. I need something that is reliable and around the eight hundred dollar range.
I have checked out the Kona Dew FS, which seems nice- disc brakes, good componentry, etc. (not a fan of the blue frame) but the Jamis Coda Comp, Allegro 2x, and Allegro 2, all seem like great bikes too. The advantage with the Kona might be the disc brakes. I am also 6'2 and weigh around 220 lbs. The local dealer here for Kona said the Dew FS is the lowest Dew I could use because the componentry on the lower models wouldn't work as well with my height and weight....???Please help!!!

· Registered
21 Posts
I say go with the Jamis...

I have a Coda Comp and it's a great bike. You could go with the Coda Elite if you want disk brakes for a bit more money. It's a great bike though. Very sturdy. When I started riding I weighed in at 260 lbs. and I have never had a problem.

· Registered
13 Posts
I just had my bike shop order me the bottom of the line Dew. It was cheap and it will get me into the road bike sport. I'm 6'2 250lbs and they never told me anything about being too big for the regular Dew. If something happens to the rims I'll just buy stronger ones. I have some friends who are very much amatures but they enjoy road riding a few weekends a month. I'll use this for that purpouse. Also, depending on where I move to, I plan to use it to commute no more than 10 miles round trip. (Small town) It should be fine. Also, the colors are hideous but they came out with a gray color for the regular Dew half way through the year. I was going to buy a better Dew for a better color but now i don't have to!
Jon

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have decided to go with the Dew Deluxe after riding a few different bikes. I rode the Dr. Dew and the Duluxe and felt better on the Deluxe. The bikes are pretty close- the Dr. has a few nicer features but not worth the extra $300 for me. I have a 58 on layaway and it should be ready this week! Thanks for everyones suggestions!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.