Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Power Tap wheel that I use 90% for road/triathlon and I messed around with it for cx training and racing. I weigh around 165lbs. What would you wheel experts recommend I use for spokes? It's a 32 hole hub mated with an Open Pro rim.

I'm wanting to get it as light as I reasonably can without having to replace a bunch of spokes when it comes time for cx season. I'm thinking along the lines of double butted, but that's as far as I am.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Brent

·
Registered
689 Posts
yah i'd say double-butted. you could go DT revs on the non-drive side, but the weight savings is minimal and the likelihood of breaking a spoke--especially when riding cross--is greater. i always use brass nips in the rear...again, the weight savings ain't all that much w/ alloys and riding on cross you're more likely to have to true the wheel in the future...alloys nips tend to round off the more they're tweaked. besides, if you were really interested in a light-weight wheel you probably wouldn't be building it up w/ a powertap hub now would ya?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
turbomatic73 said:
besides, if you were really interested in a light-weight wheel you probably wouldn't be building it up w/ a powertap hub now would ya?
;) No, I know it will still be a pig, but I was hoping to minimize the damage a bit. But you're probably right - I'm past the point of no return and might as well just make the thing durable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts