Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey so im looking to buy my 1st road bike. my primary uses for this bike include going to school/ work which should not be more than 15 miles round trip just and casually rinding around the city in general. I live in downtown portland oregon and my budget is 300 I would prefer to get a new bike.

I was looking at this bike i would love it if someone could give me their input or direct me towards a better option.

Road Bikes - 2013 Windsor Wellington1

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
With your budget I'd very strongly recommend used. You'll get a lot more bike for your money. For what you described you may also want to consider a city bike. I would check out clever cycles (I think they're on Hawthorne).

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
..... my budget is 300 I would prefer to get a new bike. I was looking at this bike Road Bikes - 2013 Windsor Wellington1
I like the yellow one!

With your budget I'd very strongly recommend used. You'll get a lot more bike for your money.
Or.... get a very nice bike.... and spend nearly NO money.

Just because a bicycle is new... doesn't mean it won't have cost issues. Who knows if the saddle is going to hurt. And does it come with a water bottle or saddle bag? [the answer is no and no).

But you can find a nearly new, barely used bicycle on Graigs list or at a yard sale for near nothing.... and have money left over for stuff you'll actually need [like a helmet].

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Lurker, my advice to you would be to save up some money. I saved up 800 dollars when I was 18 back in 1984. I was in love with that bike and rode it all the time. Funny thing is that you can still get an entry level bike for around 800 dollars today! You would get much more enjoyment from a bike that costs more. That Windsor has the shifters in the wrong place and will give you a really bad ride with those rediculous forks.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I'm not sure for a first bike I would go that cheap unless you're not sure you're going to like riding a bike, or plan on only riding around the block with kids, or that simply is all the money you have. For only another $300 you could get either the Schwinn Le Tour Sport Bike, or the GTR series 4, both would provide a bit of an upgrade in components and a better welded frame (both of these are on Bikes Direct), those Windsors have a reputation for having poor welds. I wouldn't go beyond the cost $599 because like you said it is a first bike, you might be gungho now about riding but in 3 to 6 months you may not be so you don't want an expensive piece of garage art, so I commend you for wanting to spend only $300 for bike but sometimes bottom end bikes have a tendency to frustrate people and they just give up on the sport, so allowing another $300 will get you a bit pass some of that frustration of poor components and poor frames. If you agree but are short on money simply save up a bit more.

Anyway it's just an opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.