Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to attempt to install my first set of cranks/bb. I'm looking for silver cranks, fix/free, 172.5, with possibly a 48, or 45 tooth chainring. I'm looking for a brief installation tutorial, or at least, "go get these simple tools, then report back."

Rear hub will be a Surly (silver) rear hub, but which hub, the 120 or 135 width?

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Steamroller needs a 120mm rear hub. As for the crank you can go with a regular road crank or a track crank, depends on how much you want to spend. For cheaper end of track cranks look for a Miche Primato crank or Stronglight crank... both are in the 140-160 range, the Stronglight being the cheaper one.

As for a tutorial Sheldon Brown's stuff is as good as you'll find.

·
Registered
105 Posts
unless you plan on doing it alot, i would suggest going to the shop and barrowing theirs..

you can get a set of cranks for about 60$ that seem pretty good.. with room for 1 chainring..

as far as bb, you just screw it in, the side with the chainring is reverse threaded

then you just use a big alen wrench to screw on the crank arms..

make sure everything is nice and snug.. (if you want to buy tools, all you need is a bb tool that fits your bb.. shouldnt be between 10-20$)

on track bikes, i think you screw the bb in first then the other side screw thing and snug it up

·
hello
3,395 Posts
You can install either track or road cranks on the newer gray Steamrollers. The older brown Steamrollers may not take some makes of track cranks due to chainstay clearance problems.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about

How about...

Sugino RD crank, 172.5, paired with it's 103mm BB105.

Would this combo with a Surly flip/flop rear (120mm) give me proper spacing/length?

And what do I need to install the BB and cranks?

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
RedRex said:
Sugino RD crank, 172.5, paired with it's 103mm BB105.

Would this combo with a Surly flip/flop rear (120mm) give me proper spacing/length?
Probably if you mount the chainring on the inside of the crank.
edit: I'm not so sure actually... this page at Harris says you'll get a 44mm w/ a 107 bb which might be a better choice as it'll give you more chainstay clearance and most chainelines end up being slightly larger than 42.

As for tools, you'll need a bottombracket tool (I'm not sure which that bb takes) and either a 14mm socket or 8mm allen wrench to tighten the crank bolts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.