Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Which 24" road bike should I get for my son's 10th b-day?

• 2009 Felt F24

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • 2009 Schwinn Midi Fastback

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • 2006 Specialized Allez Jr. (new)

Votes: 11 37.9%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Batteries not required
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering one of the following for my son's 10th birthday. He's got a Redline BMX bike and wants a road bike. He's short for his age (4'4" 60lbs) so growing out of the bike is not a big concern. I have a daughter right behind him that the bike can be passed on to anyway.

2009 Felt F24
2009 Schwinn Midi Fastback
2006 Specialized Allez Jr. (NOS 2006 model)

Price is no object as long as it's less than $800. Parts spec is pretty close on all, except the Specialized has a 7 speed cassette and the others have 8 (no big deal).

A used one is always a consideration.

I love all of these bikes! The Specialized is out of production but some LBS's still have new '06's!

I know that Blue makes a 24" kids road bike but it's $1500.

Any other suggestions, comments, criticisms welcomed. If anyone has one I'd love to hear about it. Which would you choose?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I would think that all of those bikes would be pretty much equal in quality. As a 10 year old, he might get a bigger kick from the Specialized or Felt like the pros use.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Let me throw one more model into the mix: If your son's a big fan of Redline, you might consider the Conquest 24. This is marketed as a cyclocross model, but the mini V-brakes and ample tire clearance would make it more versatile. Should be plenty durable too (let's face it, kids <s>can be</s> are tough on stuff!).

Not sure of the price, but RL's traditionally offer a lot of bang for the buck. Oh yeah, if you get him a Conquest, I would start him off on the OEM tires to get a feel for the bike. Once he's accustomed to the handling, you could retrofit some thin slicks for longer road rides.

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/conquest-24.html

-Paul

·
Registered
78 Posts
All of those listed spec about the same. I love the idea of used for a ten year old, but after looking for my 12 year old daughter can tell you that a small decent road bike in the 6-800 range is in short supply.

·
Batteries not required
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul1PA said:
Let me throw one more model into the mix: If your son's a big fan of Redline, you might consider the Conquest 24. This is marketed as a cyclocross model, but the mini V-brakes and ample tire clearance would make it more versatile. Should be plenty durable too (let's face it, kids <s>can be</s> are tough on stuff!).

Not sure of the price, but RL's traditionally offer a lot of bang for the buck. Oh yeah, if you get him a Conquest, I would start him off on the OEM tires to get a feel for the bike. Once he's accustomed to the handling, you could retrofit some thin slicks for longer road rides.

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/conquest-24.html

-Paul
Very cool! I didn't know they made one!

·
Batteries not required
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lalahsghost said:
Yeesh, I don't know if I would be willing to get a road only/road specific bike for a ten year old child.
Really? Why not?

His BMX bike weighs 26 pounds and he's been on 15 miles rides with it on the bike path. He rides dirt roads and does small jumps on it too.

I think he's ready. I'm not going to put him on the street. We have plenty of bike paths to roll on. He actually watched the ToC with me and can name the top teams and riders.

·
Batteries not required
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
connie said:
All of those listed spec about the same. I love the idea of used for a ten year old, but after looking for my 12 year old daughter can tell you that a small decent road bike in the 6-800 range is in short supply.
I just missed an Allez Jr. on e bay. It sold for $450. I've seen an aluminum Orbea that sold for $300ish but it was a little older (still very cool though).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
I'd ask him what his preference is. They seem to be very alike in quality, and if you removed the decals, personally I'd be very hard pressed to tell the difference among them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I too have searched for a 24" road bike for my almost 11yo daughter. Her 24" Trek MTB really is a boat anchor. I could live with the frame but can't find a lighter tire/wheelset off the rack. At 11, neither she nor I am ready for a $600-$800 bike. I'm thinking a 650 will be her first real road bike when she gets a little bit bigger. They grow fast and it won't be long. I just have to be patient.

I also want to keep her in a flat bar or MTB configuration for now. I personally believe it's safer for her to get to the brakes and the twist grip shifting is already familiar to her.

I think we also need to be sure they are really ready for the higher speeds the lighter weight, taller geared road bikes can easily deliver. Daughter was 'spinning out' in top gear downhill to catch mom last year, went into a wobble and went down... hard.

·
Batteries not required
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
if you removed the decals, personally I'd be very hard pressed to tell the difference among them.
You know, after I posted the pictures I thought the same thing! I'm sure he'd be happy with any of them.

·
Batteries not required
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mr Bentwrench said:
If you want to go cheap, ebay has the GMC Denali for $200 delivered.
I'd go with a nicer bike like the ones above used, but not a cheap new bike like that Denali.
I appreciate the suggestion though! :D

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I myself aren't so fond of a road bike for a 10 year old. I don't think you're spoiling him money-wise or anything, but I'd think it'd be better he had a MTB. Sure he can rack miles, and got some road racing interest, but he's 10. Being limited to the road won't be so fun at that age. I remember riding with my friends. We'd have the intention of going around a lake but then decide to cut into the woods...fun stuff. :D Riser bars and easier shifting mechanisms can keep things fun for him too.

There's also the whole experience aspect. Perhaps he's an aspiring rider who hopes to become competitive. Learning to be fast without the best-suited equipment would help out. By the time he'd get a road bike, he'd figure out how to close all those "gaps" where he was slow and he'd know how to make the best of the ride. All this is based on my younger riding experience when I was paired up with a MTB. Once I became stricly road oriented, I learned how to best handle rough downhill roads and had the stamina to climb pretty well despite my asthma. Only thing I wasn't set for was my saddle position.

But I post this by all means of no offense. Just some two cents. If you're really into the idea of a road bike for him, I'd say the Schwinn is pretty nice.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I bought my daughter the Specialized Allez Jr. about a year and a half ago. At the time it seemed very similar to the Trek junior road bike -- we gave the nod to the Specialized because she liked it and because the shop was really nice about making various adjustments to it for her test ride (a woman from the LBS took her for two test rides -- different days -- after they had played with the stem, etc.) She has really enjoyed the bike and her sibs will get to use it when she's done. I'm really glad I spent the money.

·
Registered
265 Posts
For what It's worth.

For what it's worth.. I have a schwinn fastback sport as my road bike. Have put many many miles on it in the past year or so and find it to be a fine cycle. The bike snobs around here may not like it because of the name on the downtube, but I've found it the equal of any other bike in its price range.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.