Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
I'd go with a Suunto. People I know have had problems with both brands. Suunto is nice because you can replace the battery yourself (easily with a coin rather than watch tools). A local sales guy said they have lot of returns on Timex HRM.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Art853 said:
I'd go with a Suunto. People I know have had problems with both brands. Suunto is nice because you can replace the battery yourself (easily with a coin rather than watch tools). A local sales guy said they have lot of returns on Timex HRM.
Thanks, which Suunto model will have biking, running, & HRM ?

· Registered
718 Posts
Consider the Sigma PC-15. Has all the basic functions and is Polar compatible. Been using one for 2 years w/ absolutely no problem. As mentioned, has user-replaceable batteries for both watch and chest strap. Usually sells for half the cost of a comparable Polar (if not more).

· Registered
534 Posts
innergel said:
Caution, thread hijack!

Has anyone used the Sports Instruments Pro 9 (i think that's the model) they carry at Nashbar? They are always on sale. My Polar was stolen last week so I need a new one.
Had two from Performance, about $35 after coupon shennanigans. It works great when it works, but it is super sensitive to power lines, since I ride near them, I was missing about 50% of my data. The data recording features are very nice but made me yearn for a pc link, writing all that stuff down was a PITA. Ended up taking them back and getting an Edge $305, which IMO is the best HRM I have ever used. Doesn't miss a beat, and the ride downloads are painless. You can find the HR+Cadence combos for about $250 and you will have more data than you can handle. I don't see the point of buying a $200 HRM when a $250 all in one device provides so much more. If you really just want an HRM costco has a nice deal on a Timex ($60) with digital transmission which doesn't suffer from interference like the Pro 9.

· i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
yakky said:
Had two from Performance, about $35 after coupon shennanigans. It works great when it works, but it is super sensitive to power lines, since I ride near them, I was missing about 50% of my data. The data recording features are very nice but made me yearn for a pc link, writing all that stuff down was a PITA. Ended up taking them back and getting an Edge $305, which IMO is the best HRM I have ever used. Doesn't miss a beat, and the ride downloads are painless. You can find the HR+Cadence combos for about $250 and you will have more data than you can handle. I don't see the point of buying a $200 HRM when a $250 all in one device provides so much more. If you really just want an HRM costco has a nice deal on a Timex ($60) with digital transmission which doesn't suffer from interference like the Pro 9.
Interesting. I read all the reviews I could find and no one mentioned interferance as an issue. Good to know though, as I ride mainly in the city (Dallas).

I don't download or track lots of workout data anymore. I gave it up a few years ago when I realized I wasn't using it for much. And yet still I want another HRM. Curious. Maybe I need to rethink my purchase. It would save me a few bucks :p And it's usually quite obvious that I'm about to black out on a climb or in a major effort on the track.

· Registered
534 Posts
I guess it depends where you ride, the W&OD trail is almost all under power lines and it makes it pretty much useless. My friend has the $60 timex from costco and it works great as its is digital. If its from performance/nashbar, you've got nothing to lose but your time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.