Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a rattle in the carbon handlebars on my Madone 9 and it's driving me crazy.

I think I have narrowed it down to my ultegra di2 shifters. Any one any idea how to silence them. The noise is quite a loud rattle which rears its head on anything but the smoothest surfaces.

Any advice on the shifters gratefully accepted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
It's maddening. This isn' what your looking for but, I had a rattle that had a similar feel to a loose headset or cable slapping. It was a valve extender. Just a touch of electrical tape and...silence.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Rattles on a bike are a challenging thing to figure out. I had a rattle that i would SWEAR was from the front of the bike that ended up being an under-torqued seat clamp. Start by checking everything (if you have not already). Seat clamp to spec, seat post clamp, headset, stem, bottle cage screws etc. Good luck; rattles are maddening!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know, it's been driving me crazy. Definitely coming from the shifters though hope to do a bit of investigating tomorrow on them and if that doesn't work I'll head for LBS.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Last year I had a rattle that would only come up after riding 10 miles. Upon thorough investigation (and several days), I swore it was coming from either my pedal or my crank since it seemed to rattle under load. I almost over-torqued those items trying to resolve it only for it to come back after the said initial 10 miles. I was about to give up and bring it over to the experts at the bike shop but on my last ride, I got a flat on my front tire. After fixing it up and putting the front tire back on I noticed the rattle disappeared. Turned out it was the front skewer!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I think I have managed to silence it.

I cleaned and lubed the integrated brakes thoroughly. Then adjusted the reach slightly on the shifters to add a little more tension to the brake cables. I then used polylube on the springs inside the shifters.

Took it for a short test ride on a very broken piece of tarmac and I seem to have a quiet bike again! will take it for a longer spin tomorrow to see how it goes 🤞

1 - 10 of 10 Posts