Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am thinking of making the switch to campy, but am stuck in the 1990s when I worked in a shop. Is it true that I can switch my 2007 Mavic Ksyrium freehub from Shimano to Campy and do the same with my 2009 Powertap?

Also, it seems a lot of people like chorus, is that still the case for 2009? Weight and performance are still over 90% of record?

Let me know, I am close to giving this serious consideration.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

Yes, both wheels can be converted to a Campy cassette body.

Chorus is still a very good value, particularly if bought from the UK for under $1000. You don't have to buy all Chorus either. I use mixed groups, mostly Record, but with Chorus cranks and cassettes. The Chorus cassettes are much cheaper and up to twice as long.

Read up on the crank install. There are critical dimensions that must be measured for the crank to work properly.

147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
C-40 said:
Yes, both wheels can be converted to a Campy cassette body.

Chorus is still a very good value, particularly if bought from the UK for under $1000. You don't have to buy all Chorus either. I use mixed groups, mostly Record, but with Chorus cranks and cassettes. The Chorus cassettes are much cheaper and up to twice as long.

Read up on the crank install. There are critical dimensions that must be measured for the crank to work properly.
Thanks, C-40. Then it's done, I'm going to campy. It seems the most cost effective is to go straight up chorus. One question - can I still use my dura ace 7800 cranks? I can't see why not. The reason I'm asking is I am going to keep my dale frame and then at the end of the year go with the BB30 frame and a the dale crank which is a crank I love.

I am pumped to switch to campy, always wanted a campy bike and it seems like now is the right time.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info..

I've not read of any problems using 10 speed cranks with the new 11 speed chain. I used Campy 10 cranks fro a few hundred miles and had no problem. Chainring spacing is pretty much the same for all 10 speed cranks. The new 11 speed chainrings are .6mm closer together.

147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C-40 said:
I've not read of any problems using 10 speed cranks with the new 11 speed chain. I used Campy 10 cranks fro a few hundred miles and had no problem. Chainring spacing is pretty much the same for all 10 speed cranks. The new 11 speed chainrings are .6mm closer together.
FYI - I am making the switch. Ordered a full chorus group as I should be able to get pretty good deals on my 7800 stuff via ebay. I go a trip to vegas in the beginning of april so my shop is doing the build and changing the freehubs while I am away.

I'm excited, thanks for the info. I'll let you know what I think once I ride it. I have 15 years of only riding ace - so big switch, but I've always wanted a campy bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts