Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just bought a nice set of jersey and bib and want it to last. I usually was in cold and dry flat (no dryer). I was told that the dryer will ruin the elasticity. I also use very little mild soap when washed in the gentle cycle. However, in the past I seem to only get approxematly 9months 1 year out of the bib's. The bib's loses its elasticity.

I wash them after each ride. In the past, I have used Pearl Izumi and Castelli.

What am I doing wrong?

thank you

· Registered
919 Posts
Try keeping a bucket in the bathroom, thow the stuff in some cold water/detergent before you step in the shower. Rinse out, hang over the shower rod (or wherever driping is ok). My deMarchi bibs are several years old and doing well from this method. Or maybe you need to try some new brands....

· Registered
473 Posts
My Louis Garneau instructions say to hand-wash them in mild soap and hang to drip dry. In other words, no machine for either washing or drying. I've only worn and washed them once, so can't attest to how they'll last, but this method is definitely the gentlest possible way to treat them.

· The Dropped 1
670 Posts
I wash in the machine with powder detergent and hang dry. I have shorts that are more than a year old. My bibs might be about that old, but I don't wear them every week and usually cycle through about 3-6 different kinds of shorts.

If you're getting in like 5k miles a year in them then that's probably getting your money's worth no matter how long it is. If only about 1,000mi in that amount of time then I dunno.

I've heard from some people that just jump in the shower in their bike clothes, wash with bath soap and hang to dry.

· had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
i machine wash and machine dry and have bibs that are 10 years old and you can see my booty meatz thru them, HTH.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

It seems that a lot of people are hanging the bibs after having it washed. Would this not stretch the fabric with it being wet and gravity pulling down on it? I probable won't do this but will consider buying an extra bib. Right now, I only have one primary bib. Yes, I do get a lot of use out of it.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Battlestar Galactica said:

It seems that a lot of people are hanging the bibs after having it washed. Would this not stretch the fabric with it being wet and gravity pulling down on it? I probable won't do this but will consider buying an extra bib. Right now, I only have one primary bib. Yes, I do get a lot of use out of it.
In the grand scheme of things, yes, gravity would probably have some effect on the stretchiness of your shorts. But no more than being worn IMHO. That said, I don't hang 'em by the straps- too long, so they drag on the ground. Flop 'em over the clothes line, stick a clothes pin on 'em, and don't worry about it.

Having several clothing items and rotating accordingly will do more to prolong clothing life than obsessing about laundry techniques.

(BTW, machine wash gentle, line dry here.)

· Registered
919 Posts
Battlestar Galactica said:

I don't think machine washing cold (esp. a front loader without an agitator) is hard on cycling stuff but the heat of the dryer isn't very good for the elastisity. The modern synthetic stuff dries very quickly in general and hanging it won't strech it out. It is nice to have some extras.

· Registered
365 Posts
some of the same.....but still have lingering scent

I also wash in cold water and air dry.....and I still have some bibs and shirts that are going strong after 4-5 years (it also helps that I have about 9 pairs of shorts that I alternate with). However, I have noticed that particularly my jerseys and base layer shirts, that they still always seem to have a hint of stink in the armpits after washing. Am I being unreasonable to believe that they would smell nice and clean or am I missing a step?

· Registered
21 Posts
I throw my jersey/shorts/socks into a full sink of water before hopping in the shower after a ride... let them soak for ~30 minutes and then drape them over the clothesline in the shower. I wash them with the rest of my laundry once per week to be thorough. Haven't had any problem with elasticity, stretching/etc.

I used to wash my stuff with liquid dark-color woolite every day and hang to dry and that never caused a problem either. The jerseys and shorts can take pretty much any relatively gentle washing and as has been stated above, are merely sensitive to the extreme heat of a dryer.

...worth noting i've destroyed the elasticity on a few pairs of socks thanks to the dryer but they still seem to work fine as socks :).

· Registered
919 Posts
muddytyres said:
make sure you don't use a liquid detergent, it takes away the wicking due to leaving residue on the material
I've not heard this one, and have never had a problem using liquid detergent. Now I have heard manufacturers warning that fabric softeners will ruin the wicking action....

· Registered
1,253 Posts
muddytyres said:
make sure you don't use a liquid detergent, it takes away the wicking due to leaving residue on the material
Been doing it for years with no problems, but I use a liquid detergent that doesn't have fabric softener in it. A little white vinegar in the softener cup is great for removing soap residue though.

By the way, washing soda (added with the detergent) rocks for busting "perma-stink".

· Registered
518 Posts
My new PI bibs (and I'm reading the label as i write this) call for machine washing cold, and tumble drying low and with no fabric softener. The precautons are mainly intended to preserve the wicking properties of the fabric, not it's elasticity. Following the instructions on the label should give you no problems.

I would not by clothes that call for hand washing as I have neither the time nor the inclination to do it, and I would worry that hand washing would not get them clean enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.