Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have the flexibility to shift any type of cassette or freewheel that I choose to run. I can use downtubers, sure, but brifters are really nice, as you know. I think it is an intriguing idea. Anyway, so far, all I have is:
• someone here said that the Modolo levers could maybe be used that way...
--well I have never even seen these, nor do I know anyone who has, so there is not much happening on this one...

• I could route the rear derailleur cable to the left side brifter, which may not have enough cable pull, and would be weird to use, too. It is not exactly friction, but it would be closer to friction than indexing. I wonder...

• can the mechanism in a left brifter function in somehow in the right side unit. Maybe with a little modification?

Come on guys, let's have some good old American ingenuity on this one. Campy, Shimano, Modolo, it doesn't matter. Step up guys. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
I'll bite

Unlike the bull, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is not a troll :)

A little understanding of how the mechanism works will show you that this is a fool's errand. Inside each and every brifter is a ratchet mechanism, and the tooth spacing on that ratchet establishes the amount of cable pull for each shift. There is not a lever on the market that is just a friction mechanism, which is what you apparently want. Perhaps with the $300 requested by the bull you could grind off the teeth and install friction washers that would achieve your goal, but I doubt you could get the kind of precision you would need to actually shift well. You have a misconception in thinking that the left lever (assuming Campy?) is a friction-only mechanism. It is simply another set of ratchet teeth.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
elvisVerde said:
I want to have the flexibility to shift any type of cassette or freewheel that I choose to run. I can use downtubers, sure, but brifters are really nice, as you know. I think it is an intriguing idea. Anyway, so far, all I have is:
--well I have never even seen these, nor do I know anyone who has, so there is not much happening on this one...

• I could route the rear derailleur cable to the left side brifter, which may not have enough cable pull, and would be weird to use, too. It is not exactly friction, but it would be closer to friction than indexing. I wonder...

• can the mechanism in a left brifter function in somehow in the right side unit. Maybe with a little modification?

Come on guys, let's have some good old American ingenuity on this one. Campy, Shimano, Modolo, it doesn't matter. Step up guys. Thanks in advance.
Kelly Take Offs would allow you to mount DT levers on your handlebars. this sounds like your best bet: http://www.kellybike.com/2nd_xtra_takeoff.html

Kerry is right, left-hand ergos are not friction at all. in fact, I recall browsing through Campyonly's page on one-handed shifting for people who have lost their right arm: one guy hooked up his 9s rear derailleur to his left ergo lever, and it worked (more or less): http://www.campyonly.com/howto/lefthandshifting.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought some old suntour shifters that look like alarge wing nut and mount just to the inside of the brake levers. They can operate in friction mode and shift anything, I use them on a cross bike. I can't remember what they are called, but they work great and I got em on ebay

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I guess thumb shifters are out of the question, huh?

One of my old mountain bikes has Rivendell's "priest bars" (swept back three-speed style) with a pair of Suntour XC thumbies I had around..They look a little clunky for a zoomy road bike, but they shift great and you can mount them anywhere on the bar. They'd work, if you could find a pair.
Actually I don't think they look as bad as Kelly Take-offs, which are the only other solution I can think of. I never did understand the appeal of those things....

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
perhaps someone can comment on intentionally breaking (or removing?)the g spring of a campy ergo lever to make them friction

from that thread
"I'm riding with some guys yesterday and one guy's Chorus RH ergo lever all of the sudden became a friction shifter. Having had this happen to me last summer on my RH Record lever, and having spent way too long taking it apart and fixing it, I immediately guessed it was a broken G spring. He brought it by my house later and I cracked it open and sure enough..... I had ordered an extra pair last summer just in case, and I replaced both G-springs (much more quickly this time), which fixed it."

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not a troll, thanks for the thoughtful responses so far...

I do understand that the left is not friction, I did not mean to hint/suggest that it was. I do like its action and would love to have that on the right side. You see, I started riding when there were 10 speeds total, not rear cogs. I have gotten very good at non-indexed shifting, and have lots of bikes that function that way.

I would love to hear more about the spring failure that turns the levers into "friction" action. That sounds too good to be true..

elvisVerde said:

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Here is the best I can seriously offer you...

I like friction shifters myself. I would not recommend a cassette larger than 9. After that it gets hard. The suggestions about the devices that hold a set of barcons are about as good as your going to get. The kelly takeoffs really do the trick. Paul also makes thumbies that mount on top of the bar.

Broken g-springs will not be accurate enough to do what you need.

Its time to either stay in the past or move into the future.......

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
perhaps someone can comment on intentionally breaking (or removing?)the g spring of a campy ergo lever to make them friction

from that thread
"I'm riding with some guys yesterday and one guy's Chorus RH ergo lever all of the sudden became a friction shifter. Having had this happen to me last summer on my RH Record lever, and having spent way too long taking it apart and fixing it, I immediately guessed it was a broken G spring. He brought it by my house later and I cracked it open and sure enough..... I had ordered an extra pair last summer just in case, and I replaced both G-springs (much more quickly this time), which fixed it."
I doubt that would work ... remove the g-spring and I don't think the shifter would work at all.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Ergo springs and friction

Friction_Shifter said:

from that thread
Ergo-shifters can get quite sloppy when the springs break - but they don't become friction shifters. In fact, if the springs suddenly disappeared, not only would the derailleur's return spring force on the cable pull it to the "high gear" position, but the ball bearings on the main shaft of Record and Chorus shifters would allow the shaft and indexing cam to freely rotate with minimal resistance!

If the G-Springs wear down or start to break, the indexing becomes sloppy. After the wear or break some more, they start to ghost shift. I suppose that you could retrofit some kind of friction plate into an Ergo shifter, but it's probably more trouble than its worth.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
I was talking with my co-worker about something like this today and I came up with an idea but have no way to make it or have someone make it. The idea is like the Campy Ergo shifter except that the system uses a finely ratcheting system like the old Suntour shifters friction shifters. As you push the main lever in it rotates the ratcheting wheel in a way that it takes up cable. To release cable the thumb lever pushes the ratcheting wheel back against friction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.