Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I picked up a new (to me) frame this week...a BMC SLR01. I want to build up a light (maybe aero) wheelset, and need some ideas.

I'm 175-180 and ride in Colorado, mainly near the foothills and also up near Breckenridge and Vail at 9,000-12,000 ft. So I need something that climbs well and is relatively stiff so it does not have brake rub. I will use 23mm or 25mm tires....whichever fits. I prefer 25s but a really fat 25mm on a wide rim may not fit.

I have considered several- ROL D'Huez, Shimano C24, Zipp 303, custom handbuilt, & Campy Bora 35. I hear of too many flex issues (at brake track) with the Zipp 202s. I can't go too deep due to mountain crosswinds. Rarely do I see anyone on a ride with anything deeper than a 35mm-40mm.

Here are the bikes and wheelsets they have:

Roubaix SL4: Pacenti SL23, DT 240s, CX Ray 24x28 (not crazy about slight rim pulse). I am not sure I'd use a Pacenti rim again.

CruX Disc cyclocross bad-weather bike: NOX carbon A36 disc rims, DT 240s, CX Ray 28x28

Tarmac Disc: American Classic Ardent Disc Tubeless 24x24

So with this BMC, which way would you guys go? It will likely be the lightest bike I have and an all-rounder but with a focus on big climbing days. The thing is those big climbing days also have the long and fast descents so it cannot be flimsy.

I like tubeless (mainly the ride quality and the non-instant flats for safety) but my choices are a bit limited there. Just give some ideas and I'll figure it out. Reliability and durability are important. Like I said, I'd go handbuilt too (I wish Jeremy was still making his Alchemy hubs) but rim selection will be key here.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
You didn't say how much $$ you are willing to spend.

If you want durable, reliable and minimal flex, then you don't want any of the low spoke count wheels you mentioned. Go with at least 24 front/28 rear.

You may want to look into some of the Boyd Wheel options. They seem have a good reputation. They will custom build them to your specs:

Alloy Wheels - Boyd Cycling

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm flexible on budget. I was told by a local builder that a deeper carbon rim (35-40) would be stiff enough to handle a lower spoke count like the 303 or 3.4 SES, for example. he said a few alloy rims would be fine too. He is around my weight and races. he also has a good reputation and I have used him to build some pretty solid wheels over the years. He told me to not do low spoke counts on a soft/light alloy rim. Since I have several bikes, it is not like this one will see 3,000-5,000 miles in a year but it cant be a race-day-only type wheelset either. I have heard of Boyd...will check them out. Thanks!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I simply do not trust random or non-name Chinese carbon anything and don't feel comfortable buying directly from those setups. I'll either go brand-name carbon with a track record, or alloy.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
I simply do not trust random or non-name Chinese carbon anything and don't feel comfortable buying directly from those setups. I'll either go brand-name carbon with a track record, or alloy.

Very smart man. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I am about your size and live in FL but have ridden in the area of CO where you will be riding. Last time out, I did the Copper Triangle ride before my group went to Loveland to do a 6 day ride that took us along the Front Range, then west and as far north as Steamboat Springs before coming back over the Rockies to Ft. Collins / Loveland. If you know those routes, there are some pretty long climbs and descents.

I have a Strong steel frame and the wheels I rode I built myself using a mix of CK for the front and a DA rear hub, 24/28, CXray spokes and Kinlin 279 rims. They are about the height you want @28mm, great braking whether wet or dry (caught in the rain a couple of times on the ride) and rock steady on the descents (49.5 was my max). I am going to build a similar set for a Lynskey Ti bike I just built but will use the Kinlin 31W rim which is 31mm tall. I've built several sets of wheels for friends using the 31W rim and all like them a lot.

·
Wandering
195 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.