Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, yes this is my first post. I usually don't post on forums, but well, I have this pending question that I would like to get other bike enthusiasts input on. To start off, I don't consider myself a roadie, but I dabble. I do consider myself a mountain biker and back roads adventurer. In 2016 I built up a Brodie Remo, which is considered a road/light touring bike. Well after all these years I decided I wanted something that can accommodate larger tires and has disc brakes. The idea was to somewhat break down the Remo and sell it off. Before Covid I came across a 1997 True Temper LeMond Tourmalet. I re-cabled everything, re-lubed the shifters and the bike rides great and was hardly ridden before I attained it (near mint shape). So, me considering myself a non true roadie, deemed this classic, my road bike for when I dabble. Lately I had the itch to upgrade the LeMond and started changing out the 7speed RSX for 9 speed Ultegra. It never dawned on me that Brodie Remo (which I was planning on selling off) which I have spent miles with could be my road bike and I sell off the LeMond. So long story short, I am stuck as to which I should keep. To me the LeMond is a true road bike, but is obviously older, but then again the Brodie is considered a conventional road. LeMonds, I feel, tend to have a following especially the older steels, but mine is not a Reynolds unfortunately. I do not plan on investing on another frame right now.

2014 Brodie Remo Metallic Purple 4130 Tubes- 10 Speed Ultegra-Cranks-FR deraileur-Rear Der-Cassette(currently Dura-Ace bar end shifters).(Approx 23lbs)

1997 LeMond Tourmalet Metallic Blue True Temper double butted-Outfitted with 7 Speed RSX-Currently in the process of upgrading to 105/Ultegra. Quill stem-now adapter with Nitto Drops (Approx 23lbs)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do like the purple...However the LeMond is a 55 and the Brodie is a 56 and the 55 fits me slightly better.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Two things to consider - can you shorten the reach and/or stack on the Brodie with a stem that won’t compromise the handling? I wouldn’t put on a stem less than 100mm length for a road bike. I find that as cyclists age, their ability to stretch into longer positions is more difficult/uncomfortable. I used to ride top tubes with 56.5 to 57cm and now that I’m 60, I have gravitated to 55 to 56 cm bikes. Just don’t ride as much and getting a bit less flexible.

Next, if you are trying to get a more all rounder type bike that can accommodate wider tires, than you may want to keep the Brodie or sell both for something like a cross or gravel frameset.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Veloduffer that is very insightful regarding stretching out as you pointed out. I have found that as I age (now 40) I am definitely less flexible. Also great to know regarding the 100 stem, as I never thought of that. Regarding your comment about wider tires, I am in the process of building a gravel bike and will be using tubeless 40c's. The frame (Trek) will also accept a rear rack and will be used for light touring/adventure. In essence this is the replacement for the Brodie and will get the most miles. The road bike will be for occasional jaunts and rides.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Veloduffer that is very insightful regarding stretching out as you pointed out. I have found that as I age (now 40) I am definitely less flexible. Also great to know regarding the 100 stem, as I never thought of that. Regarding your comment about wider tires, I am in the process of building a gravel bike and will be using tubeless 40c's. The frame (Trek) will also accept a rear rack and will be used for light touring/adventure. In essence this is the replacement for the Brodie and will get the most miles. The road bike will be for occasional jaunts and rides.
Most of the adjustments that you’ll make are gradual and usually about 1 to 1.5 cm max. It doesn’t seem like much but over a 25-30 mile ride you begin to feel the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,341 Posts
...However the LeMond is a 55 and the Brodie is a 56 and the 55 fits me slightly better.
Your answer is right here. Keep the one that fits you better.

Reactions: ogre

·
Registered
176 Posts
Your answer is right here. Keep the one that fits you better.
I would go with the Lemond and YES upgrade to 9 speed Ultegra... I'm currently riding an 06 Pinarello Prince SL with 9 speed Ultegra and it functions perfectly and looks amazing!! I am on the Prince, but the bike I should have bought was an early century Lemond Chambery,,, of all the bikes I have ever ridden, it felt the most controllable and rideable,, but by the time I made up my mind, it was gone forever,,, so on to the Prince.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts