Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some Cane Creek cross top levers. They came with a take-off bar and stem I bought at the LBS. I am getting ready to run brake cables and as I look at these cross top levers something doesn't make sense to me.

The main brake levers (Shimano 105 STI) operate by pulling the brake cable, which in turn pulls at the brake caliper. Pretty basic. But the cross top levers appear to push the cable towards the brake caliper rather than pull it away. How can that possibly work? It seems to me that squeezing the cross top brake lever would loosen the brake, not apply it. I checked the installation manual PDF at the Cane Creek Web site and it is no help at all.

The only thing that would make sense to me is that you actually cross the cables, i.e. the cable from the right STI lever passes through the left cross-top lever, and vice versa. This would then seem to pull the cable in the proper way. However I should note that this is not the installation mode shown in the Cane Creek documentation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't understand confusion;

The cross top levers are mounted in line with the regular brake levers, in between the levers and calipers. When you pull on the cross top lever it is the same as pulling on the regular brake lever. Unless they are improperly installed they should work fine.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
undies said:
I have some Cane Creek cross top levers. They came with a take-off bar and stem I bought at the LBS. I am getting ready to run brake cables and as I look at these cross top levers something doesn't make sense to me.

The main brake levers (Shimano 105 STI) operate by pulling the brake cable, which in turn pulls at the brake caliper. Pretty basic. But the cross top levers appear to push the cable towards the brake caliper rather than pull it away. How can that possibly work? It seems to me that squeezing the cross top brake lever would loosen the brake, not apply it. I checked the installation manual PDF at the Cane Creek Web site and it is no help at all.

The only thing that would make sense to me is that you actually cross the cables, i.e. the cable from the right STI lever passes through the left cross-top lever, and vice versa. This would then seem to pull the cable in the proper way. However I should note that this is not the installation mode shown in the Cane Creek documentation.
The tops levers don't do anything to the cable. They are mounted between two sections of housing. When applied, they separate the sections of housing making it effectively longer which makes the cable effectively shorter. - TF

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TurboTurtle said:
The tops levers don't do anything to the cable. They are mounted between two sections of housing. When applied, they separate the sections of housing making it effectively longer which makes the cable effectively shorter. - TF
That's the answer. I am looking at the brake lever and I see what you mean now. Thanks! :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.