Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys need to fill me in here, I'm a mountainbiker 80% of the time right now and am not understanding something. I work a road/mtb shop where I've been for almost 7 years now so I have alot of expierence with both really highend mountain and road bikes but just can't see where someone can drop 4g on a road FRAME....frame only! I ride a aluminum Giant TCR with a ****-mix of Chorus and other random parts with the only exception being my AM 350sprint wheels. My frame weighs 1150gms and retails for around 800$ canadian dollhairs, yesterday a regular came in and was excited about some carbon frame that isn't even made by the name on it that costs over two grand and wieghs only 50gms less then my aluminum giant. When I compared my TCR to the other bike in question he scoffed and went off on something else.......The thing that is the best though is that the guys on the Paris's, Colnogo's ect are always bringing up the rear in the training rides we do. I can understand expensive mtb frames, there's pivots and shocks and so on and so forth but I'm having a hard time seeing the point in 2g+ road frames. Or mabye I just want to justify that BMC I want.....help me out here people....And don't use that old "your paying for heritage" mumbojumbo. If I'm paying that much I want something thats gonna make a performance differance and any company can copy anothers frame angles.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The part i noticed from alum to carbon is the way i feel after a longer ride or week, my body feels less tired. It is hard to pinpoint. My weekly miles increased more than normal becuase i like the new ride... and i had less fatigue. Mabe it is all in my head, but they say carbon reduces vibrations(=fatigue)

·
Banned
476 Posts
it certainly is not based on performance

there are lots of reason 'preimum' products sell for more
generally these are not quality and performance related when you get into the ultra pricing -- handbags, shirts, dresses, dishes, speakers, and bikes
there is always someone willing to make and market items at the ubber price level and always some consumers willing to buy them

·
off the back
15,599 Posts
why does a Ferrari or Porsche cost so much more than a Viper or a Corvette?

why does Clorox cost more than the store brand? they're both bleach.

they cost what people are willing to pay for them.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Part of the appeal of the "expensive" bikes is that you don't see them everywhere. I think in the three years i've been riding i've seen about 3 Looks, 1 Time, and a handful of Colnagos (not including mine of course).

Also remember that those places that fab their own bikes have limited production capacity, so having an exceptionally high demand isn't necessarily a good thing. You control that by raising the price.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
It's definitely related due to the fact that you can ride one and others aren't. I also love the Colnago's paintjobs, but wouldn't buy one just because of one. If I could afford a more expensive frame I would, but my wife says I'd have to buy her one also (she wants a Calfee) and I can't afford two :(.

But, I have to say, I thought the expensive bikes were fairly rare living here in the Tahoe Land of Trek and Specialized. Then I went to ride in Palo Alto, CA. I think I was the only person not on a Look, Seven, or Colnago. Physically I had no problem keeping up with anyone, mentally I was sad my whole bike cost less than their frame.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Let me try to give a more concrete answer to the OP's question. In marketing a product it is the perceived value that is emphasized. Although a bike frame can be well-made and inexpensive, Colnago frames have the perceived heritage of a premier race frame manufacturer. They are marketed as an elite frame of superior quality. Of course, a bicycle frame has a geometry that is suited to a style of rider; not all riders ride in that style. So this racing style of frame has a very good paint job on it that increases the apparent perceived value of it. Get one I'm saying? The value has nothing to do with performance, strength or longevity. The geometry itself is only a style and nothing magic. You are paying for the name, only.

What complicates this picture is that a bicycle is a sum of its parts. Not just a frame, but a fork, wheels and components make up the entire bike. For that matter, many threads detail the importance of the correct saddle, no less.

The bottom line is you see people on a Colnago, not because it's a better bike, but because they have bought into the perceived value of the bike and can afford it.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Marque recognition...

My sister recently got a "Tiffany & Co" silver necklace and bracelet set. She was happy, because several of her sorority friends had the "fake" version. The "real" cost $300 or so, and the "fakes" cost $100. The difference: the "real" one said "please return to Tiffany & Co, New York, blah blah" on it, and the its jeweler clearly had a little more attention to detail.

At more than 3 feet, I could not tell the difference, and it's not my thing, but it made her happy.

Ferrari to Corvette is a very apt comparison, too, I think -- or even more, Ducati to Yamaha.

With a Colnago or Pinarello, you're buying the HIGHEST OF THE HIGH-END in mass-marketed frames. There is no trump card. Sure, a Parlee or something might have more of a pedigree to a dedicated, in-the-know enthusiast, but anyone who's heard anything about bikes will say "oh, a Colnago, sweet."

For some, that's worth $4,000.

me, I bought an Italian, all-carbon frame and fork -- a basso diamante -- slightly used off of eBay for $500.

·
Banned
476 Posts
Sad? Really

Ridgetop said:
It's definitely related due to the fact that you can ride one and others aren't. I also love the Colnago's paintjobs, but wouldn't buy one just because of one. If I could afford a more expensive frame I would, but my wife says I'd have to buy her one also (she wants a Calfee) and I can't afford two :(.

But, I have to say, I thought the expensive bikes were fairly rare living here in the Tahoe Land of Trek and Specialized. Then I went to ride in Palo Alto, CA. I think I was the only person not on a Look, Seven, or Colnago. Physically I had no problem keeping up with anyone, mentally I was sad my whole bike cost less than their frame.

Have you seen the VW 'low ego emissions' commercials
sums it up well

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
collectorvelo said:
sums it up well
My Colnago makes me smile when I ride it--much more so than my low-end Bianchi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Who cares what someone's riding as long as they are riding? Unless you’re actually racing and it matters where you place in the race, who cares if someone rides at the front or rear of the pack? Ride what you want, and stop worrying why other people ride what they ride.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I will have to disagree with that.

It's smart marketing on the part of VW for sure. But ultimately it's just a whole bunch of BS. We all want to be better, and want things that are nicer. Even the VW commercials imply VW drivers are smarter (hence better) than the others because they are not paying for prestege/vanity and getting a better value (whether they are indeed a better value or not, is another question). Yet they don't forget to stress "German Engineered" whenever they can.

Besides, don't even mention what a wuss the VW driver was in that Honk the big bald guy commercial.

It's OK for people to want something that's "cooler", "sweeter", "nicer", "more bling" or plain "prettier". IT's human nature -- there is nothing wrong with it. It disgusts me that some people claim/imply they are immune to such human nature (and hence better than the rest of us).

Just imagine what the world would be like if we eat the cheapest food that gives us 2000 calories a day, drive the crappiest cars that can safely move at 55mph, wear the lousiest clothes that can keep us warm, (or bang the ugliest chicks) ...

By the way, the OP's TCR aluminum is much more likely to dent and crack than a C50.

collectorvelo said:
sums it up well

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
ultimobici said:
Because they are imported and out perform them!
The performance statement really isn't true. The latest generation Corvette (esp. the Z06) actually does offer comparative (and in many cases superior) performance to the European exotics for a fraction of the price. This makes the Corvette a truly relevant comparison.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
thall said:
Who cares what someone's riding as long as they are riding? Unless you’re actually racing and it matters where you place in the race, who cares if someone rides at the front or rear of the pack? Ride what you want, and stop worrying why other people ride what they ride.

I agree. You never see a thread from someone on a high-end bike *****ing about others riding budget bikes but it's soooooo P.C. to complain about folks who enjoy high end bike bling. It gets old. Yes, there are 50-year-old CPA's in full team kits on Serottas grunting slowly up hills. Who cares? People buy bikes for a lot of reasons, including both function and fashion.

Live and let live.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ll give you good one reason.

I mean not related to name, marketing etc. And it doesn’t apply to all exotics. In fact it applies to only a few.

Anyways the reason is this…

Have a look at the Colnago website. Click on the c50 and look at the number of sizes they make – 15 standard geo and 6 sloping geo.

Do the same with Pinarello. 16 in the Dogma and 9 in the Paris.

Now go to Giant and look at the TCR – 5 sizes.
Specialized etc etc.

It cost dollars to make a frame in many sizes. You need jigs, for each frame size. And carbon molds are even more expensive. Then there are inventory issues. That expense is passed on to you.

Like I said, its not the only reason – but it is a reason.

The expense of carbon manufacturing and the (what I understand is Giants) model for mass producing frames of “5 sizes fit everyone” is a real shame if you are concerned about fit. Fine if you fit a std size, but not so good if you don’t.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
That's just it. I personally buy the best my income/budget/wife will allow me to buy. If I could have afforded the Record Colnago when I first started riding and was slower than a dead turtle I would have bought it. Instead, the Felt I ride was the best I could do at the time. So, I was slow on a cheaper bike and am now fairly fast on a cheaper bike. I wish I could be fast on an expensive one but that's off in the future sometime.

I don't blame the slow folks with money for buying the more expensive stuff. Why buy hamburger for all your meals when you can afford steak so to speak. Good for them. And someday, I'm going to be riding that 6000.00 dollar bike! Well, maybe, if my wife says I can, and if I have enough money to buy her one too. . .now I'm just sad again.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Help me understand why every discussion about Colnago (or any other high end bike) includes some reference to old guys in full team kit bringing up the rear. Why do all the guys on the cheap bikes need to take long pulls out front, are they trying to prove something? If they're so darn fast, how come they're not riding something better? Something commensurate with their skill as racer-studs?

Are people jealous of the bike, their money or their indifference towards being judged by their speed?

For some reason, Colnago always seems to be the lightning rod for these class warfare troll posts. Why not pick on something that's really expensive? It's a prestige bike, no more expensive than any of the other prestige bike. If you want to muse about something, how about the $6000 Serotta Ottrot or the $8000 Serotta Mevici frames. Both 50% to 100% more expensive than any Colnago. Some people are willing to spend the dough on prestige bikes and some aren't. Because a) they don't see the value or b) they're too scared or c) they simply don't have the money.

I have three of them, one purchased for full internet retail, one purchased NOS for far less than your Giant and one that I won in a raffle that cost me $20 for the ticket and $350 for a CF crank upgrade. So on average, I've spent less per bike than you did. Yet despite my good fortune, I never find myself passing someone on a Giant and saying "What's up with that guy riding that cheap POS? Can't he afford something better?"

·
uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
amen terry!

why do i ride cinelli? because i've always loved cinelli bicycles, that's why. i saved for a full year back in the 80's to buy my beloved supercorsa and build it up with campagnolo super record. then in 2001 i had $5k i'd saved because i was thinking about lasik, i thought about it a bit more and built up my cinelli starlight instead. i still wear glasses...

it's all about what you want, and what you are willing to pay for.

and yeah, you'll see me in full team kit. mid 90's lotto-adecco, to be exact. am i a racer, a wanna be racer, a posuer, a fred? no, the reason i wear that particular kit is in honor of andre tchmil, one of the hardest of the hard men this sport has ever seen. check out the wcp video of the '94 paris-roubaix to see what i'm talking about. and yes, that's the kit you'll see me wearing.

quit worrying about what other folks are riding, celebrate the fact that they are out there riding, and enjoy your own ride for what it is.

i build up lots of bikes for folks on a limited budget, and every bike that rolls out of my humble shop gets the same thought, "if for some reason i lost every bike i own, and was relegated to riding nothing but this bike i just built up for my friend, i would be perfectly content and consider myself lucky".

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.