Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some new tires, 700 x 23 on specialized roubix.

Ride about 1500 mi per year, but just 4 summer months in NE.

I need a bit of tread as I sometimes get caught out in thunder storms.

Also, want something with some strength, the roads here are crappy, but don't want the heaviest tire either.

Too many choices at lbs,hoping the collective wisdom of the forum can give some recs.thanks

·
Registered
999 Posts
700x25 Continental GP4000s is a pretty safe bet for the riding/roads you describe. If "bad roads" equals high risk of puncture flats you might look at the Schwalbe Ultremo DD, Conti Gatorskin and Michelin Endurance as well.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Break away from the norms. Give the good folks at Veloflex your money. The Corsa 23 or Corsa 25 are a sweet tire. These good folks moved into the Vittoria factory when Italy's premier tire company decided they could make more money in Asia. The employees bought the factory and started production up. Cotton casings and they feel like a tubular. Prices are reasonable if you get them off ebay too. To further the cause for you, they even have tread on the tires.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
@jbinbi

Conti GP 4Season, GP 4000S in 25mm and 28mm are in my opinion good choices; the 28 measures from 26.5 to 28 depending on rim width.

Tires with more supple casing like the Vittoria OC EVO CX in 25mm will give you a more comfortable and possibly faster ride but they are not as good on wet pavement as the GP 4S or even the 4000S. They are also less puncture resistant than the Contis.

Choosing tires is a trade off between pluses and minuses as there is no such thing as the perfect tire for everything or everyone.
If you feel getting into it a bit deeper, a good start may be the latest issue of Bicycle Quarterly which although a bit biased offers enough of an exposure to the issues at hand to at least make you start thinking about them. If nothing else you may change your mind about your 23s.

Edit: typo

·
Registered
303 Posts
continental GP4000s...I consider these the best tire I've ever ridden next to the Michelin Hi-Lite Pros I rode back in the 90s. For your riding, I'd step up to a 25mm or even a 28mm for better grip and a little more give over the rough parts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love my Conti GP 4 seasons...run 23 front and 25 rear. I ride them on the road and gravel and have about 1500 kms with no problems. They have excellent puncture protection, have a nice comfortable ride and roll fast (not as fast as the Paves). A nice complete package. I have ridden veloflex and my favorites Vittoria (Pave) and find the Contis better punture protection and longevity. I may switch to the Pave this summer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not to bash Conti GP4S, but be warned: the sidewall of my rear Conti GP4S burst open without warning yesterday, as I was pedaling home from a ride. I was pedaling on smooth tarmac, the sidewall did not come into contact with any sharp object.

The tire had only almost 2,600 km of road wear. Tire treads are still pretty much visible; the tire's outer contour is still circular.

And yet the sidewall failed. Without warning. Without reason.

Now, I'll be trying the Vittoria Rubino Pros.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have been happy with Panaracer Type D tires. I have not had any punctures. They also grip really well on wet roads. I have been using 700x25, but they measure closer to 27mm wide when mounted on my rims. The Type A tires should also be good and weigh less.

I have heard good things about Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tires, but I have not tried them. I do not like Gatorskins on wet roads, and I had some slips/slides with them. It was a night and day difference between the Gatorskins and Panaracers.

·
Registered
710 Posts
OK. big price diff in conti gp vs. gp 4 seasons. What is the diff, and for me riding from mid may thru mid oct?
The sidewalls and the liner/puncture belt on the GP4Season is a bit beefier. The liner/puncture belt on the GP4000 is just under the tread while on the GP4Season the liner/puncture belt goes from bead to bead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.