Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off, i don't race but i do rally singletrack on skinny tires.
today my drivetrain exploded. i thought i had given it plenty of room, but a rather large tumbleweed jumped out at me and up into my chain.

rear der tab is in two pieces
dura ace rear der is history
10 sp ultegra chain is history
couple of spokes

it made for an interesting trail side fix. didn't walk out.

i'll probably be putting dura ace back on it but i'm wondering if i could run an xtr rear der with sti shifters. i know that v-brakes are possible with a problem solver. why or why should i not want to do these things?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes you can run XTR with STI shifters, it's the shifters that dictate the amount the derailleur moves - so yes. I ran XTR short cage, with 105 shifters last year, and it was crisper than my DA set up on my road bike. Also, the MTB technology is a little ahead of the road stuff, so you get better technology - IMHO

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have an XTR rear derailleur with Ultegra shifters. I used to have a big mtn.bike cassette on my bike. It shifts perfectly but I will probably switch to a Dura-Ace derailleur this summer.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
Road bikes are consumed by weight reduction. Things like durability and being able to use a really low gear aren't important. In a MTB they're the most important qualities. Light weight without durability means you aint gonna finish the race. So, if you're not going to venture off road by all means use the DA. It's light and it works. Things get diffferent when the riding gets tough.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
cs1 said:
Road bikes are consumed by weight reduction. Things like durability and being able to use a really low gear aren't important. In a MTB they're the most important qualities. Light weight without durability means you aint gonna finish the race. So, if you're not going to venture off road by all means use the DA. It's light and it works. Things get diffferent when the riding gets tough.
1. Using a really low gear isn't an example of MTB tech being ahead of road tech.

2. Pro cross racers, people who's career is about finishing races when they are tough, people who likely ride in as bad or worse mud and sand than any other bike racing discipline, and certainly worse conditions than riding recreational singletrack unless you have no respect for the trails, generally use road RDs: http://www.cyclocrossworld.com/BOSS.cfm

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
cannibalize!

throw an Ultegra or Dura Ace cage on an XTR rear mech
make an XtRegra rear der. (am doing it right now)
and yes, XTR rear ders work with 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace shifters

·
Registered
20 Posts
My thought is to switch to a 9-speed drivetrain, just because it's cheaper to buy and replace:
9-speed sram chain: $30
9-speed sram cassette, whatever spread: $30
9-speed Tiagra rear derailleur, $55-

You can either have an extra click on your right shifter or use a j-tek shift make to reconcile you shifter with your cassette.

May need a 9-speed front derailleur to allow more cross-chaining than a 10-speed front derailleur will. $40.

I'm using the Problem Solver Travel Agents as brake doublers with my tektro mini v-brakes and the TA's work well. You should use the v-brakes with TA's because the combination works well. You shouldn't use the v-brake with TA's because it's more expensive and complex. I would look for something that isn't so often used with a problem solver in the first place.

Plenty of people seem to like their v-brakes and sti shiters without TA's but I sure didn't and I'm relieved to have TA's on there. They'll stay for as long as I have my bike.

·
22 going on Ancient
373 Posts
$55 for a Tiagra RD isn't too hot of a deal, IMHO. I just picked up an Ultegra RD for <$30 on Ebay...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts