Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I'm looking for white bar tape for my new R3. I DO NOT want cork or foam tape. I'm looking for the preforated/leather like tape. I think the fizik tape may be what I'm looking for. Only prob is that the only fizik tape I have seen in person is the velvet feeling stuff that I don't want. I was going to order it online, but want to get the right tape. If you have links, that would be great!!
Thanks
Bryan

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I think you are looking for Stella Azzurra..

http://www.glorycycles.com/stazhata.html

Note- this stuff is really hard to install, about the most difficult time I've had putting on bar tape. It has a nice feel to it, looks great, wears like iron and won't show dirt. You have to take your time when you put it on and make sure you overlap the previous roll. It has a tendency to bunch up..\

Fizik has perforated tape also...just don't pull too hard when you are installing it or it can tear...

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,459 Posts
Bry03cobra said:
Hello
I'm looking for white bar tape for my new R3. I DO NOT want cork or foam tape. I'm looking for the preforated/leather like tape. I think the fizik tape may be what I'm looking for. Only prob is that the only fizik tape I have seen in person is the velvet feeling stuff that I don't want. I was going to order it online, but want to get the right tape. If you have links, that would be great!!
Thanks
Bryan
Fizik also make the perforated tape in a 'leather-like' finish in different colors.

·
Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw that on BTD, I may go with that. I had white foam tape a few years back, looked filthy. Not always wearing gloves doesn't help. I like the white, I think the stella is the way to go, rather than risk getting the wrong stuff with the fizik.
Thanks

·
Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave
I'm afraid that's the suede like stuff. I'm probably going to order the stella stuff tonight.
Thanks
Bryan

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
Bry03cobra said:
Dave
I'm afraid that's the suede like stuff. I'm probably going to order the stella stuff tonight.
Thanks
Bryan
In Dave's post, only the black tape is the fuzzy stuff. All the rest is smooth, pleathered, perforated.

I don't know why Fizik does this, I think it's their only color with that fuzzy feel, which I also hate, and is less durable than normal.

Pick another color than black, or go for the Stella. You won't regret it.

·
Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MaestroXC said:
In Dave's post, only the black tape is the fuzzy stuff. All the rest is smooth, pleathered, perforated.

I don't know why Fizik does this, I think it's their only color with that fuzzy feel, which I also hate, and is less durable than normal.

Maestro,
THANKS. That's just what I wanted to hear. That fuzzy stuff is awful. Going to look for both tonight, will post a pic after I install.
Thanks
Bryan

·
Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave Hickey said:
You don't mention color but why not go with the real thing and put perforated Brooks leather tape on? It's comfortable and will last a lifetime......Unfortunately it's limited to a handful of colors
Look at the first line of my post, I'm looking for white. No biggie, I scan posts too. I love the brooks stuff, willing to pay for it as well, but no white.
Bryan

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
Bry03cobra said:
Maestro,
THANKS. That's just what I wanted to hear. That fuzzy stuff is awful. Going to look for both tonight, will post a pic after I install.
Thanks
Bryan
Avoid the stella (also sold as bontrager) if at all possible- it's really hard to install.

I've got the white fizik tape on 2 bikes and there is no weird suede feel...

One other option just because...

http://www.velo-orange.com/elsebarco.html

White sewn-on elkhide. What could be cooler than that?

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,459 Posts
Bry03cobra said:
Maestro,
Thanks
Bryan
If you look at the large pic of the blue tape you will see that it looks almost like shiny leather. Fizik offers black, white and silver in their "Soft Touch" which is like suede. Red, Bright Red, Celeste, Dark Grey, Metal Blue, Bright Blue, Bright Yellow and Silver are in the leather like finish.

When you order your Fizik tape, specify that you don't want the "Soft Touch".

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Dinosaur said:
I think you are looking for Stella Azzurra..

http://www.glorycycles.com/stazhata.html

Note- this stuff is really hard to install, about the most difficult time I've had putting on bar tape. It has a nice feel to it, looks great, wears like iron and won't show dirt. You have to take your time when you put it on and make sure you overlap the previous roll. It has a tendency to bunch up..\

Fizik has perforated tape also...just don't pull too hard when you are installing it or it can tear...

Go with the Stella... http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showpost.php?p=1478754&postcount=37

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,526 Posts
MaestroXC said:

Nope, wrong.
I have also bought white Fizik that was the "velvet" feeling stuff.
Was filthy and completely uncleanable within a ride.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,526 Posts
This stuff may be worth a look to.
I have not used it but the few pics I have seen would make me think it is similar to Fizik's "leather" style tape but with old school stitching to boot.

·
Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Who makes it?

·
Registered
579 Posts
RavX and Stella Elaganza are the same tape. Gets nice and tacky when you sweat. It's easy enough to install once you get the hang of it...stretch the hell out of it.

The Gecko tape is badass and has all kinds of stretch. Rolls tend to be pretty short, so you have to take advantage of the stretching ability.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.