Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a set of TIME Pedals MTB type for my son who is involved in BMX racing. There appears to be no way of easing the tension on the pedal anywhere. He is having a real hard time getting in and out of them. Any suggestions would be great for this frustrated dad. Thanks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Time ATACs

Great set of pedals. Not to worry about the lack of adjustment, they typically require a bit of break in. Use schwinn quick release spray lubricant, silicone lubricant or PAM on the pedals @ cleats. This will help the break in as well. As you've probably figgured out, your son's light weight will make this a challenge at first. Good luck & hang in there.

·
Registered
367 Posts
One more thing

I recalled hearing of some folks shaving their ATAC cleats for easier exit. With a bit of googling, I came up with this.

"Before you give them up, try shaving your CLEATS instead of your SHOES. The release angle can be modified to any degree you want if you take a file or grinder to the back egdes of the cleats. While I've never experienced any release difficulty with ATACS, enough riders like this tweak that shaved cleats are an available option at Speedgoat.

http://www.speedgoat.com/prod/store/category.asp?pid=531

or you can do it yourself:

"Here at Speedgoat, we've been shaving the back edges of our ATAC cleats down for faster entry and release on the uglier rockbed sections locally. Custom shaved ATAC cleats allow faster entry and release by reducing the pronation (foot's rotation) necessary to release. Shaving the back edges of the ATAC cleat reduces the float to 12 to 14-degrees instead of the more common 20-degrees. To shave your own cleats, first shave the less beveled edge
on the back side of the cleat until the cleat is symmetrical, then round the edges of the cleat (see lower photo) and shave across the top of the back section of the cleat."

Unfortunatley the links are old and no longer work. But it may give you an idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.