Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm researching which bike to buy right now and I've narrowed it down to 2 'main' options. I'm only concerned with component & wheel choice right now - hope that's OK with everyone.

Anyway, 1 of the choices is built with either:

Dura-Ace 7900 and Mavic Cosmic Carbone wheels
- or -
SRAM RED and Zip 101 wheels

Both cost exactly the same - $4999 AUD RRP.

Can anyone comment on each combination, which one you'd choose and why? I've ridden the DA 7900 bike with the Cosmic wheels (plus 1 other w/ DA 7900) and it kicks a whole lot more a$$ than I thought it would. I haven't had a chance to test the RED version with Zip wheels which is why I'm posting here now. I've never ridden any bike with RED before actually so I don't know anything about how it rides or feels compared to DA 7900.

Does anyone mind commenting? :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I'd try to find a test ride of Red, Force, or Rival just so you know how doubletap in general feels like.

I can't say much about the wheels. People will say the Zipp's are overpriced, but then again, I don't know if the heavier Mavics suit your riding (you climb much?). If it were me, I'd be happy with either set to be honest.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
the sram red + 101's will be a good bit lighter than the DA/cosmics. It really comes down to which type of shifting u preger. the shimano is butter smooth and proven with years on the market. the sram red is snappy and fast and lighter. but is new on the market.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I don't think it matters much at this level. Which one do you like the looks of better? Which shifter action do you prefer?

Personally, I like the SRAM stuff and think current DA is ugly, but I wouldn't buy either of those groups. I'd either buy Rival or, if I had too much money, Campy. The exotic high end groups don't do anything extra - they're just there for those who want to pay for the best. You won't dislike your purchase either way - it's the best, after all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ventruck said:
I'd try to find a test ride of Red, Force, or Rival just so you know how doubletap in general feels like.

I can't say much about the wheels. People will say the Zipp's are overpriced, but then again, I don't know if the heavier Mavics suit your riding (you climb much?). If it were me, I'd be happy with either set to be honest.
Cool, thanks for that. The idea of testing double tap first is one I didn't even think about ... oops.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skyliner1004 said:
the sram red + 101's will be a good bit lighter than the DA/cosmics. It really comes down to which type of shifting u preger. the shimano is butter smooth and proven with years on the market. the sram red is snappy and fast and lighter. but is new on the market.
Interesting info - cheers for posting that. It's actually quite a hard topic to research since it's 50/50 depending on who you talk to - shops don't help because they just want to make a sale (at least that's how it appears). :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rx-79g said:
I don't think it matters much at this level. Which one do you like the looks of better? Which shifter action do you prefer?
I've lined up a test ride on red so I'll be able to answer that soon, hopefully. The idea of a single lever for both is interesting.

rx-79g said:
Personally, I like the SRAM stuff and think current DA is ugly, but I wouldn't buy either of those groups. I'd either buy Rival or, if I had too much money, Campy. The exotic high end groups don't do anything extra - they're just there for those who want to pay for the best. You won't dislike your purchase either way - it's the best, after all.
Cool, thanks for that. Both groups are capable of performance far beyond what I'm capable of and the only reason I'm even considering them is because the bikes they're on are priced the same as the bikes with Ultegra. With deals that good I guess I just figured that I'd get as much as I could for the money. :)

A couple of reviews have said the Cosmics can be tricky in crosswinds - that's something that we get a lot of here in Melbourne while riding out around the bay.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ventruck said:
Managed to ride the bike with SRAM RED and the Zipp 101s yesterday. Man, what a difference!

I'm allowing for a ton of mental stuff affecting my opinion since it's the first time I've ridden RED but yeah - pretty damn awesome. I think the bike is around 800g lighter than the bike w/ DA 7900 and Mavic Cosmic wheels.

Thanks again for the suggestion haha. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts