Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.Please can anyone tell me the meaning of the term 'trail' in the geometry for specailized.
The 'trail' size for the specialized Vita XL is the same as the mens sirrus M. I do not understand what 'Trail is and why it would be smaller in the womens bike XL than the Medium mens.
Also. I recently got a specialized Pro Medium, '06 model and the circle made by pedalling How do i say that?) too small, i would like the feeling of making a bigger circle rather than pedalling like mad, making lots of circles. I'm not explaining this very well! I have long strong legs,is there such a thing as a bike with longer pedal shafts to make the circle larger?
Thanks

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
jessemadge said:
Hi.Please can anyone tell me the meaning of the term 'trail' in the geometry for specailized.
The 'trail' size for the specialized Vita XL is the same as the mens sirrus M. I do not understand what 'Trail is and why it would be smaller in the womens bike XL than the Medium mens.
Also. I recently got a specialized Pro Medium, '06 model and the circle made by pedalling How do i say that?) too small, i would like the feeling of making a bigger circle rather than pedalling like mad, making lots of circles. I'm not explaining this very well! I have long strong legs,is there such a thing as a bike with longer pedal shafts to make the circle larger?
Thanks
Simply stated, trail is the combination of wheelbase, head tube angle and fork offset (or rake). As fork offset increases, trail decreases with quicker (twitchy?) handling being the result. Conversely, as for offset decreases, trail increases with slower (more predictable?) handling being the result. See link below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_and_motorcycle_geometry

To answer your second question, there are various crank arm lengths available, but I'm not sure if this is what you're asking or if you're wondering if a lower cadence isn't possible. I say this because you state:
...the circle made by pedalling How do i say that?) too small, i would like the feeling of making a bigger circle rather than pedalling like mad, making lots of circles.

So please clarify that last part. Do you want larger crank arms to pedal in bigger circles or do you want to slow your cadence (revolutions per minute).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's very useful and the link very good.
I'm not sure to the second part, i just felt unrelaxed pedalling so manically making small circles, i want the speed but a more relaxing feeling of making bigger circles.

I am very new to cycling, i am very frustrated trying to find the right bike!
I bought a trek Navigator and it is lovely and comfy but i am not going to get fit on it.
I bought the Sirrus pro and it is not right for me. I do not like its compact geometry and even though it has straight handlebars, i need a more upright bike. I do however want to do a lot of miles (roads and lanes mainly and the odd bumpy track) and get very fit so a light bike is important..Is there a bike like the Specialized Sirrus, but which has a more upright sitting position and larger crank arms to make bigger circles and which is just as efficient?
I have been thinking bike and going nutty buying the wrong bikes and not being able to find the right bike!!
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and i read that on bikes designed for women, the pedal crank arms are smaller, is this correct do you know? I don't think that would make sense as women generally have longer legs than men.
Thanks

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
jessemadge said:
Oh, and i read that on bikes designed for women, the pedal crank arms are smaller, is this correct do you know? I don't think that would make sense as women generally have longer legs than men.
Thanks
As I read along your second post I wondered if you were female. I guess I should've known from your name. :)
From what you describe about having trouble with fit, I'd say you're the ideal candidate for WSD bikes. My SO literally went through 2 years of riding the wrong bikes before realizing that the ONLY bikes that fit her were WSD's.

You've already bought two bikes that (from your description) clearly do not fit you. I'd use that knowledge and look only at WSD bikes. Being a noob, it's really important for you to work with a knowledgable fitter, so preferably find a bike shop with both a good fitter and WSD bikes.

Crank arm lengths vary with frame size, so I would guess that's consistent with WSD bikes as well. And because the sizes run smaller in general, you're probably righ that they're shorter on WSD bikes, but (if need be) that can be remedied by the LBS. I'm not sure that this is really a problem for you, though. Because you may be confusing this with the fact that you have a bad fit and are looking for a reason why.

If you'd like, post your height and the frame sizes of your current bikes. Year/ make/ model would be helpful as well, because I might be able to get the geo online. In the meantime, here's something you might like:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=38459&eid=121

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's wonderful, thankyou so much for your help. I had thought that womens bikes were not the way to go for me as i have a longer body to leg ratio and the womens bikes are designed for shorter torsos. I have a very long reach. My height is 5.10 inside leg 33".

The Trek navigator is the largest frame size in Navs, 21" Year '09
The Specialized sirrus pro is the Medium, frame size 54cm. Year '06

Thanks very much
Lucy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
I visited a specialized concept shop today and test rode the mens sirrus sport size large. The difference between my '06 size medium was amazing, the sport was very much more upright and a very comfy ride. I am going back to try the womens vita in XL (same size as mens large apparently) next week but they said there is only 5ml difference in reach between the sirrus and the vita which i probably wouldn't notice. I don't know if this is true or not yet.
Thanks

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
jessemadge said:
That's wonderful, thankyou so much for your help. I had thought that womens bikes were not the way to go for me as i have a longer body to leg ratio and the womens bikes are designed for shorter torsos. I have a very long reach. My height is 5.10 inside leg 33".

The Trek navigator is the largest frame size in Navs, 21" Year '09
The Specialized sirrus pro is the Medium, frame size 54cm. Year '06

Thanks very much
Lucy
I took a quick look at both bikes you mentioned. Given your height and inseam (more on that momentarily) I actually think the Navigator is the correct size. I do, however think the Sirrus is one size too small, but keep in mind, I'm guessing because I haven't seen you on the bikes.

Re: your proportions and WSD's. You are correct that the WSD bikes are made for (primarily females) with proportionally longer legs and shorter torsos. From what you've offered, I'm thinking that your initial opinion that you are NOT a candidate for WSD's is correct. Longer reach = standard frame geo, generally speaking.

All that given (and the fact that you're new to this), I think you would be best served by working with a knowledgable fitter. It may be that some tweaks to your fit on the Navigator are all that are needed. That may also be the case for the Sirrus, but I'm less optimistic about that.

The only other thing I can offer is if it's possible post full length, side angle pics of you on the bikes, we might have more to go on.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
jessemadge said:
Hi
I visited a specialized concept shop today and test rode the mens sirrus sport size large. The difference between my '06 size medium was amazing, the sport was very much more upright and a very comfy ride. I am going back to try the womens vita in XL (same size as mens large apparently) next week but they said there is only 5ml difference in reach between the sirrus and the vita which i probably wouldn't notice. I don't know if this is true or not yet.
Thanks
We cross posted, but from what you offer my guess on the Sirrus was right. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are right about the sirrus, also about the Navigator which i love but is just not good enough for long road rides.
I think i'll go for the Sirrus sport which is pretty cheap compared to the Elite.
Thankyou very much for your help and time. brilliant.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
jessemadge said:
You are right about the sirrus, also about the Navigator which i love but is just not good enough for long road rides.
I think i'll go for the Sirrus sport which is pretty cheap compared to the Elite.
Thankyou very much for your help and time. brilliant.
You're very welcome, glad I could help. Ride safe! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts