Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to cycling. I have had my bike for about 3 weeks ('09 Specialized Dolce). I have a dilemma.. I test drove hybrids today. I was hoping to like the hatchback so that I could take the wheel off and put it in the car, but I think I really liked the Civic Hybrid and I can get it for a better price. The only thing holding me back is the fact that my bike will not fit in the trunk b/c the seats don't fold down. I usually ride after work, but I don't work in a very good area and I am worried to leave my bike on a rack during work. So after all of that explanation I really need advice on what rack I could get (roof??) that is secure. It would need to attach to a civic hybrid. I really like this car, but I may go with the Honda insight hybrid hatchback for the sake of my beloved bike! Thank you so very much for any advice!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Get a Yakima with Locks and a locking bike rack for the top. I have a Prius and that is what I use I lock down my Madone with it and it's very safe.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I can't tell you how much I love that car. It is just great and I laugh every two weeks or so when I have to fill it and it's like 12.00 bucks.:D If I put the back seat down I can get my bike in it without taking the wheel off too. I just hate to take the kids car seats out to do it.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
The seats go down on MY Civic...

WhitneyE said:
I really liked the Civic Hybrid and I can get it for a better price. The only thing holding me back is the fact that my bike will not fit in the trunk b/c the seats don't fold down.!
I know this sounds insulting, but are you sure? We've had two Civics, and the seats fold down on both. I can get my 64cm Atlantis back there with the wheels off.
That might be a dealbreaker for me. I love Hondas, but I don't want to have to leave the rack on OR keep taking it on and off every time I need to take the bike somewhere. Plus my Yakima rack, even with cheap offbrand attachments, cost over $600.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is not insulting! The "gel packs" that make it a hybrid are in the seats, which means you can't fold the seat down!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree with getting a roof rack. Check with your dealer to see if they will throw in a factor roof rack as part of your deal, especially in this economy, car dealers are looking for anything to sell cars. My bike shop told me about aftermarket bike carriers that can hook up to almost any roof rack crossbar system. I'm not sure what brand they were, maybe Yakima, and it was only $150-200. Definitely get the locks.

I personally LOVE my roof rack. I drive a VW beetle, and can easily put the back seat down and fit 2 bikes inside. However, its SOOO much more convenient to use the roof rack and lock. I highly recommend it. The only draw back I can see is less aero dynamics, which will take away some mpg, even on your hybrid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks scooter guy, yes I have just read that about roof racks dropping the MPG down by 10-15 , which defeats the purpose of a hybrid a bit. That is a good idea about getting a factory roof rack. Do you think a hitch rack would be better on the MPG???

·
Registered
277 Posts
WhitneyE said:
Thanks scooter guy, yes I have just read that about roof racks dropping the MPG down by 10-15 , which defeats the purpose of a hybrid a bit. That is a good idea about getting a factory roof rack. Do you think a hitch rack would be better on the MPG???

I lose about 2-3 tops and when I put the spoiler on more like 1-2. That is with just the rack. So I still get 44 to 45 mpg.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, I haven't seen 10-15 mpg decrease on my VW beetle, and I don't have a spoiler. I've seen maybe 2-3 mpg decrease, but I don't really drive cross country at high speeds either. Mostly city/suburb driving. Don't know much about having hitch rack though. I would think it gets in the way of getting to the trunk personally, but then again you don't have to reach over the top to balance your bike either.

·
I'm workin' on it....
251 Posts
I'd think very hard about it before pulling the trigger on a car that you can't get your bike inside of, at least now and then. It's really nice to be able to put your bike inside the car where it is much more protected. I guess it depends on how much you transport the bike with your car, but not being able to put my bike inside my car would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Blue CheeseHead said:
If you are only occationally haul a bike, why not go with a hitch rack? That way you will not have the wind noise or lost efficiency of a roof rack.

I got this one last year and really like it:

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductPopupView?catalogId=10052&storeId=10053&productId=153279&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=13000&top_category=
+1 on the hitch rack. There are many good ones to choose from. My favorite is the Thule T2, but it's pricey.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are they pretty secure?? I am thinking this is the direction I will go in. Unless I can get a great deal on a prius. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Make sure that your bike will fit up correctly on a hitch type rack, I have a BMC and it would not mount right on the rails of a Yakima hitch rack (due to the skeleton type frame). Finally sold that and ended up with buying a Yakima High Roller. Holds the bike by the tires and not the frame. Works pretty good. No problems so far.

Also I was always afraid of being rear ended with my bike on the hitch rack. Rather have it above me or inside.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
WhitneyE said:
Are they pretty secure?? I am thinking this is the direction I will go in. Unless I can get a great deal on a prius. Thanks for the tips.
Yes, the Hollywood rack is very secure. It locks the fork in, not the frame. Mine came with the front wheel mounts as well as a lock to secure the whole setup in the receiver. It will require a cable lock to secure your bike to the rack (not included). I hate the hitch mount racks that hang your bike from the top tube and allow them to swing. I have seen too many bikes get damaged using those systems.

The Hollywood rack will fold up and flip down a bit to help allow for access into the rear of the vehicle when loaded. For the price it is very nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Saris or Rhode Gear trunk bike rack and lock it up!! Hitch would be nice too. It'll tuck in the nice aero sweet spot back there. Roof rack would defeat mpg, of course, not in a super detrimental way, but still...

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the Thule T2 and it is great, very secure and stable. I like it because you can adjust it to fit a variety of style bikes. I like it much better than a rack that makes you hang the bike from the frame. The Thule is pricey though but is built like a tank.

On a side note, if you really like the Civic, why not go with a regular version instead of the hybrid? I could not justify the several thousand dollar premium. If you do the math, I am not sure you can save enough money in fuel to pay for those expensive batteries that will need replacing eventually.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts