Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to read the labels that look applies on their steering column? Ok, I get the thing about the model, steering diameter and production lot, but on my fork, there's a series of code I'm not quite sure about :
R700/L300/C40

I think the first code (R700) refers to the wheel size, 700c and that the second (L300) would refer to the length of the uncut steer tube. My guess is that C40 would then be the rake...

Am I correct if I assume the rake is 40mm?
If not, how am I supposed to find out?

I know that Look HSC3 forks were made with either a 40mm or a 45mm rake (anyway, that's the case in the 1"1/8 non-integrated size), so my "theory" seems to make sense...

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
Maybe C40 will know?

(But, yeah: I'm with DH.)

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Theory works for me--but I can't find my Look fork to check its codes...from memory it's a 45 deg., so for aftermarket they must have offered a range...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stevesbike said:
are you worried it's going to be a question on Jeopardy or something?
Haha, good 1 :)
No, actually, I want to sell that fork and I thought it would be useful to give this info to potential buyers. It's less misleading that way.

Now that I think about it, I think C40 may be the size of the crown.
R700 = Roues 700c (roues is french for wheels)
L300 = Longueur 300mm (longueur = length)
...then it would make sense that C40 = Couronne 40mm (couronne = crown)
Besides, that's probably the accurate size of the crown, since it's built for non integrated frames.

Hmm. Seems I'm clueless about rake again. I guess I'll ask someone (like a very reputable mechanic...) to measure the rake.

·
FNG
449 Posts
You are correct that the rake is 40 on that fork. The HSC 3 was available in 40 or 45, and the HSC 4 and HSC 5 are available only in 43.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chas said:
You are correct that the rake is 40 on that fork. The HSC 3 was available in 40 or 45, and the HSC 4 and HSC 5 are available only in 43.
Hey, thanks a lot!
I never hoped someone from Look would answer my question - that's great... I always knew these boards to be useful, but that was pretty unexpexted. I'm kinda impressed.

Thanks to everyone who gave their 0.02$... The matter is now closed.
(except if anyone of you needs a carbon fork with 40mm rake? I have exactly that for sale :D )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts