Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start a build here in the near future but have no idea what i'm doing. I have a schwinn paramount with rolf vector wheels.. I've done searches on what i need to do and havent found what i really need to do. Will i be able to use these rims and what parts will i need. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on high end parts but reliable parts.Where can i find a conversion kit or what parts will be needed and about how much would i be spending to do this? Can i use any parts off my current freewheel or crankset?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So let me get this straight... In order for me to swap my gears to single speed all i need to do is get the SS conversion kit ( from nashbar), decide which chainring i want to use up front and apply? Take off the derailers too of course. Simple as that? Can it really be that easy... Or am i thinking way to much into this??:idea:

·
Registered
70 Posts
twitch1 said:
So let me get this straight... In order for me to swap my gears to single speed all i need to do is get the SS conversion kit ( from nashbar), decide which chainring i want to use up front and apply? Take off the derailers too of course. Simple as that? Can it really be that easy... Or am i thinking way to much into this??:idea:
It really is that easy. I used the nashbar conversion kit on my MTB; it took under an hour.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
twitch1 said:

so long as you're not confusing SS w/ FG... then there are relatively minor issues of chainline and chain tension

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
+1 on the Nashbar/Performance SS kit -- the cogs are stamped but seem to be durable, and the tensioner works just fine.

The only other suggestion would be to stock up on odd sizes of BB spacers...that way, you'll be able to fine-tune the chainline by stacking those spacers on the freehub (BB spacers fit on the freehub, too).

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Have fun with the conversion. It's a fairly simple, straight forward job and enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks road... I really hope to. Should i use the smaller of the 2 chainrings? or the big one? Whatcha think? Or just trial and error?

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
What are the tooth count on the two of them? I would just pick one of them and set up the rear to match. Usually you end up running the inner ring on account of that position usually helps with the chainline.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts