Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am am building my first fixed gear (mostly commuter around campus) and I have just purchased my rims and hubs. rear hub is the white industries eno eccentric and rear rim is velocity deep v. front hub is a formula track and front rim is a matching deep v. both hubs and rims are 32hole. I am going to have the bike shop build these wheels for me due to my lack of experience, and when they ask me what lacing pattern I want to be able to say I want _____.

i dont think i want the 2x, i know 4x is stronger then 3x. but im going for a strong/cool looking rim so maybe something creative ? or maybe you could just show me a website with pictures of common lacing patterns.

and also this is my commuter slash around town bike, so uneven side walks and bumps and pot wholes may need to be considered.

thanks in advance, without you guys my fixed gear plans would still be at the point, is a fixed gear a coaster hub bike?

also to any one who may have had these hub/rim combinations, what was your spoke length? i have used sheldon browns excel sheet but just want to make sure im in the right ballpark

·
Registered
838 Posts
russelr said:
i dont think i want the 2x, i know 4x is stronger then 3x. but im going for a strong/cool looking rim so maybe something creative ? or maybe you could just show me a website with pictures of common lacing patterns.
There is nothing stronger about 4x then 3x, especially on a 32h hub. There is no "cool" or unusual pattern that you can do on a 32h hub except twist lacing. If it was a 36h hub you could do a 3 leading 3trailing pattern that looks really cool when done.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
russelr said:
I am am building my first fixed gear (mostly commuter around campus) and I have just purchased my rims and hubs. rear hub is the white industries eno eccentric and rear rim is velocity deep v. front hub is a formula track and front rim is a matching deep v. both hubs and rims are 32hole. I am going to have the bike shop build these wheels for me due to my lack of experience, and when they ask me what lacing pattern I want to be able to say I want _____.

and also this is my commuter slash around town bike, so uneven side walks and bumps and pot wholes may need to be considered.

thanks in advance, without you guys my fixed gear plans would still be at the point, is a fixed gear a coaster hub bike?

also to any one who may have had these hub/rim combinations, what was your spoke length? i have used sheldon browns excel sheet but just want to make sure im in the right ballpark

http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co.uk/WheelBuild/notyet.htm

I built a set of these wheels 32 2 leading 2 trailing. I only rode them once or twice, but they do look pretty cool.

-Eric

·
Registered
832 Posts
"Looking cool" is the excuse major bike-manufacturers give (really!) for producing these cheap radial 20-spoke front-wheels and crappy 24-spoke 2X rear-wheels. Their marketing division has been bombarding us all with how "cool they look!" Yeah - real cool - hurtling head over teakettle on a failed wheel and landing on your head. Cool, dude...

I go for 3X-laced. Either 32 or 36-spoke. Easy to build. Strong. Stays in true if you do it right.

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ligero said:
There is nothing stronger about 4x then 3x, especially on a 32h hub. There is no "cool" or unusual pattern that you can do on a 32h hub except twist lacing. If it was a 36h hub you could do a 3 leading 3trailing pattern that looks really cool when done.
True, but you could go with a hybrid crows foot (crows foot with a radial in between each foot). These turned out sort of "cool" but once the bike was moving (like real bikes do) it looked a whole lot like 3x...which is about the coolest pattern around considering how well it works.

In fact most people will never notice your spoke pattern unless you do something really radical...even then, there is a good chance that the only time people will notice is if you call it to their attention.

These radical spoke patterns are perpetuated by bike shows, blogs, and forums. In the real world where bikes are ridden, exotic lacing patterns have never been demonstrated to perform even close to as well as 3X.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Puchnuts said:
"Looking cool" is the excuse major bike-manufacturers give (really!) for producing these cheap radial 20-spoke front-wheels and crappy 24-spoke 2X rear-wheels. Their marketing division has been bombarding us all with how "cool they look!" Yeah - real cool - hurtling head over teakettle on a failed wheel and landing on your head. Cool, dude...

I go for 3X-laced. Either 32 or 36-spoke. Easy to build. Strong. Stays in true if you do it right.

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
Puchnuts:
+1 for 3X and 32/36 Spokes.
I build and ride 3X/36 and they work great, stay true, and when 'spinning' look 'cool', I think;
I never really looked.:thumbsup:
John

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
We should have a poll of what spoking pattern looks the coolest outside of the latte shoppe bistro. I'll bet the chicks dig cool patterns too :rolleyes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
unit said:
True, but you could go with a hybrid crows foot (crows foot with a radial in between each foot). These turned out sort of "cool" but once the bike was moving (like real bikes do) it looked a whole lot like 3x...which is about the coolest pattern around considering how well it works.

In fact most people will never notice your spoke pattern unless you do something really radical...even then, there is a good chance that the only time people will notice is if you call it to their attention.

These radical spoke patterns are perpetuated by bike shows, blogs, and forums. In the real world where bikes are ridden, exotic lacing patterns have never been demonstrated to perform even close to as well as 3X.

What kind of rotor is that you have in your picture?

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
rruff said:
"Chick Magnet Wheels"... a great marketing angle that hasn't yet been fully exploited...
Everything should be on the table at marketing decision times. Maybe there should be disc wheels with Brad Pitt airbrushed on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts