Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking to replace my 10 year old American Classic Sprint 350 wheelset. I have narrowed down my choices to two sets. Shimano RS81 C35's and Neugent A310CW.

Here are my thoughts, what do other people think. They will be used for fast club rides, I weigh 138 lbs.

Shimanos: A little deeper (35mm vs 31mm), but less wide (20.9 vs 24mm), easier to service cup and cone bearings, proprietary spokes, heavier, known to be robust

Neugent A310CW: Less deep, but wider, standard spokes, lighter, better customer service.

Thanks

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
My concern about the Neugent is the alloy freehub, which a cassette can gouge through in a few thousand miles.

I am biased towards durability over less weight.

Though as you said, Shimano uses proprietary spokes and nipples. Get the correct size nipple wrench for these as the standard one on many multi-tools will not fit!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just had a look at Neugent's new lineup, and I'm guessing the A310CW is based on the Kinlin XR31. I've build and ridden wheels with that rims and they are fantastic. I'm tempted to say I like them more than my Pacenti's, which cost quite a bit more.

I can also echo what I'm sure you've heard from others about John Neugent himself and the way he stands behind his products. I had a recent experience with him that was WAY beyond any expectations – just really amazing and top notch.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I just had a look at Neugent's new lineup, and I'm guessing the A310CW is based on the Kinlin XR31.
Different ERDs and weights are listed for the rims (neither of which I normally believe anyway) but it could be a different rim. And Neugent's claim of a 1460g wheelset is a bit suspicious with rims of either weights.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Different ERDs and weights are listed for the rims (neither of which I normally believe anyway) but it could be a different rim. And Neugent's claim of a 1460g wheelset is a bit suspicious with rims of either weights.
Good point, Mike. I hadn't looked closely – just saw that they were tubeless-compatible aluminum clinchers that were 31mm deep and 24mm wide and thought that sounded a lot like the XR31.

But you are right: the ERD is quite a bit different.

I do think Neugent's math works out correctly on the weights, at least compared to what Bob is advertising for the BDOP kit.

Neugent is listing the rim weight on his wheels at 460, so 25 grams lighter per rim than the XR31.

Neugent is giving hub weights that are about 25 grams more than the BDOP novatec hubs (325g vs 305g).

So that would make Neugent's wheels about 30 grams lighter than the BDOP kit, and BDOP is giving a weight of 1485 for the XR31 20/24 set.

Neugent's claimed weight of 1460 would therefore make sense. But this definitely means he's using a different rim than the XR31.

A 460 gram rim of that width and depth is amazingly light.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Good point, Mike. I hadn't looked closely – just saw that they were tubeless-compatible aluminum clinchers that were 31mm deep and 24mm wide and thought that sounded a lot like the XR31.

But you are right: the ERD is quite a bit different.

I do think Neugent's math works out correctly on the weights, at least compared to what Bob is advertising for the BDOP kit.

Neugent is listing the rim weight on his wheels at 460, so 25 grams lighter per rim than the XR31.

Neugent is giving hub weights that are about 25 grams more than the BDOP novatec hubs (325g vs 305g).

So that would make Neugent's wheels about 30 grams lighter than the BDOP kit, and BDOP is giving a weight of 1485 for the XR31 20/24 set.

Neugent's claimed weight of 1460 would therefore make sense. But this definitely means he's using a different rim than the XR31.

A 460 gram rim of that width and depth is amazingly light.
Isn't the Niobium Alloy a Kinlin exclusive in rims?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Isn't the Niobium Alloy a Kinlin exclusive in rims?
Good question. I don't know the answer.

I do know that a 31mm deep and 25mm wide alloy rim at 460 grams is just insanely light. The Kinlins are 486 grams, and I think those are pretty light.

Generation 1 Pacenti SL23's were released to (deserved) acclaim for being super wide and very light. But those rims weighed about 450g at a depth of only 26mm. So the fact that 2 years later Neugent is selling a rom that's slightly wider and 5mm deeper, but weighs almost the same, is impressive.

To be clear, I've never ridden or seen the Neugent rims – just going off specs.

I do have a couple thousand miles on the XR31s and they are fantastic wheels at any price, and just unbeatable I think for the price. I'm about to order another set from BDOP, this time trying out the asymmetric. I'm a newbie wheel builder, with about 6 sets under my belt, and I'm excited about being able to build a rear wheel that can maintain a bit more NDS spoke tension.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts