Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a very lightly used older Trek 1000 at a garage sale for the girl friend and we have loged over 200 miles the past few months. One problem she still is experiencing is that she feels uncomfortable on the narrow road handlebars. So, I want to change them out to a straight/mtn bike type handlebar as she loves the way it feels!!:D

The 90mm stem on the bike is the 1" old style bent stem, rear derailer is a 7 speed Suntour that is index shifting & works great. Looks like I will need to pick up a new 1" handle bar, 7 speed mtn bike shifters, and brake levers! Any advise would be appreiated!:mad2:

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
What do you need to know? That's the parts list, plus cables and grips. Check whether the clamp diameter on the quill stem is 26mm or 25.4, so you get the appropriate bar, or the necessary shim.

You say she likes the way the bike feels, but doesn't like the way the road bars feel. Be aware the bike won't feel the same with a different handlebar. You might try raising the bars as far as possible first, to see whether that simpler change meets her needs.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Maybe she just wants wider road bars.

OP, without trying to sound too dismissive, I feel like these threads are like a game of telephone at the end of which someone's girlfriend ends up with a Frankenbike.

Some basic questions - is the bike the right size for her? Where on the handlebars is she putting her hands? Has she asked you to help her with it, or are you screwing with her stuff on your own initiative? What "it" does she love the feeling of - the bike, or mountain bike handlebars? How about a picture of the bike's cockpit?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.