Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the Ultegra version of these pedals and the supplied cleat screws are too short for my Sidi G5 shoes.
These screws grabbed maybe 1 or 2 threads inside the shoe which stripped out when I went to tighten the cleat.
Does anyone know if there are longer versions of these screws?
Can I repair the damaged "insert" inside the shoe somehow?
Thanks for any advice,
P

·
Registered
75 Posts
Longer bolts exist, Shimano has a kit.

Ask your LBS, they should have them instock, especially if they sell alot of SPD SLs. You can order the bolts worst comes to worse, but make sure they're genuine Shimano bolts.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
bg. said:
Longer bolts exist, Shimano has a kit.

Ask your LBS, they should have them instock, especially if they sell alot of SPD SLs. You can order the bolts worst comes to worse, but make sure they're genuine Shimano bolts.
Yup, Shimano makes the exact bolts in a 12mm length (I think it's 12). You can't get 'em directly from Shimano--you have to go through the LBS. Or you can probably use some 12mm machine bolt with a 5mm shaft diameter from the hardware store, but Shimano makes those neat-o bolts with the metric face...

If in fact the bolts only grabbed onto and stripped one or two threads, the longer bolts, I would think, would have enough to grab onto without there being a problem.

If you want to fix the shoes anyway, your bike shop can do it or they'll send them out to be fixed by a manufacturer, or you can try to do it yourself. There are some threads in the archive on how to fix this--try searching for the word "helicoil."

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Take the screws and shoes down to a local hardware store and find the right size. For a couple of bucks you could get enough to last years. You may have to use phillips head screws but they worked on my shoes.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
steelbikerider said:
Take the screws and shoes down to a local hardware store and find the right size. For a couple of bucks you could get enough to last years. You may have to use phillips head screws but they worked on my shoes.
Yup... Just make sure they are M5 (5mm diameter shafts). I know all about looking for these. Forget about the small, local hardware stores--M5 machine bolts with flat heads are strange.... Lowes carries them--I know that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Yup, Shimano makes the exact bolts in a 12mm length (I think it's 12). You can't get 'em directly from Shimano--you have to go through the LBS. Or you can probably use some 12mm machine bolt with a 5mm shaft diameter from the hardware store, but Shimano makes those neat-o bolts with the metric face...
Huh? hardware store bolts are of varying quality, a temporary fix while you wait for the right bolts maybe. Not something I'd recommend for a permanent fix.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
bg. said:
Huh? hardware store bolts are of varying quality, a temporary fix while you wait for the right bolts maybe. Not something I'd recommend for a permanent fix.
I agree. If it were my cleats I'd get the Shimano bolts.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Well, according to Veltec Sports/SIDI...

these cleats are imcompatiable with the Genius 5 shoes.

No the longer Shimano bolts do seems to work, but they still come lose every once in a while for me.

Veltec Sports can fix the plate for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks...

to all who replied so quickly.
I searched and found a shop that had the "Shimano Long Bolt Kit" for the Spd-sl's. $4.00.
I even ordered two more "kits" as spares.
Thanks to all for the suggestion.

Keep on spinnin',
P.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts