Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While saving up for a frame that truly fits my size, I'd like to make some adjustments to my 55 cm frame to better fit my body type.

I'm 5 ft 10.5 inches tall and my inseam is 33.625. From the proportions I've learned, my ideal frame size should be 57cm.

I have a 55 cm Trek 2100 composite frame. I've adjusted the seat height and the seat forward/backward measurements using a plum line (from foward knee to pedal) as my gauge. So my saddle is now correctly adjusted, I hope. The issue now is that since my seat has been raised, my bars are sitting a bit too low and too close to my core.

Is there a way to lift a 1" threadless headset and extend the stem to better fit my body type on my seemingly too-small-for-my-size frame? From what I've read thus far, it seems that most of these options are better found for a 1-1/8" headset...

Thanks for any thoughts/direction...

·
RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
You didn't mention how much you need to move the bar but there are many stems available to give you more reach and different angles available to adjust your bar height. Maybe you can borrow an adjustable stem to find out what you need and then locate the proper stem. While 1" stems may not be as popular you can still find a good deal on Ebay if you know what you need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and thanks for the feedback.

When on the saddle, clipped in, and hands in drops, the front hub is still visible above handle bars. From what I've read, the handlebar should obscure the hub view when seated, clipped, and in drops.

So it seems that I need to raise the bars about 2 cm and purchase a 14 cm stem (I believe this is the max size), but I'm not sure of the angle elevation at this point.

I've never heard of an adjustable stem. Sounds like a usefull tool.

Thanks again,

D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.