Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Specialized Allez SE bike in a neighbors’ garage. It looks like a really nice bike; I need riding partners; he’s a good guy; and, I’ve taken the Park tool school, so I offered to fix it up for him. I thought I’d clean the parts, re-pack the bearings, change the cables and housing, get him a new chain, etc.

I started last night and ran into my first problem – I can’t get the brake cable housing out of the part that runs into the caliper. Any ideas? Do I just need to apply more force, or is the housing an integral part of the caliper? Also, the brake hoods are rotted. Will the Diacomp brake hoods fit the Superbee brakes?

Any other advice you can give me about refurbishing Superbee parts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

kg1

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Yank it

Yes you need more force, but probably also some lubricant in there to speed the process. I've used a product called PB Blaster (got it at auto parts store) that will help. The liner of the housing has rusted to the inside of the cable adjustor on the caliper it sounds like.

Dia Compe hoods may fit, but you could also search ebay for the right parts. Also Rennaissance Cycles (online shop in the Netherlands) is a good source for NOS parts.

Sounds like a neat project.

·
Registered
777 Posts
kg1 said:
IAlso, the brake hoods are rotted. Will the Diacomp brake hoods fit the Superbee brakes?
First question, are they Superbe (late 70's / early 80's) or Superbe Pro (late 80's / early 90's)?

I think the Superbe levers (non-aero) are close enough to a Campy NR / SR that the reproduction hoods will fit. I have Superbe Pros, and when the grey aero hoods rotted out, I had a heck of a time finding hoods that worked. The black DiaCompe hoods interfere with the lever movement, causing a very slow return after braking. Plus, they're taller, so they stuck up above the top of the lever. Ugly. I ended up using some gum rubber aero DiaCompe hoods that work better, but still not perfect. Given that DiaCompe made all of Suntour's brakes, you'ld think they'd all work, but they don't. NOS Superbe Pro hoods would be your best bet, check all of the usual suspect for vintage parts, Renaissance Cycles, Bicycle Classics, Two Wheel Fetish, ebay, etc.

BTW, I absolutely love my Superbe Pros. Best sidepulls I've ever owned, including dual-pivots. My 105s were like a light switch. The Suntours require a bit more hand pressure, but pay it back with excellent control.plus, they're really pretty, and lighter than almost anything out there today, if you care.

--Shannon, a Suntour fan, from
San Diego, CA

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
If the bike was an Allez, it is likely the red one they used in "american flyers". It was equiped with superbe pro parts. A trick I have found for getting the ferrule out of the calliper is to put a closed pair of needle nose pliers into the ferrule and apply some opening pressure and pulling at the same time. For the brake hoods, you could look for an aftermarket brand called Ame' They made aftermarket hoods for all the styles of the late 80's in lots of colors. You could also grab a pair of Dia Compe aero levers for nothing on ebay. Looks cleaner and they are cheap.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably not Pros

I assume they are not Superbee Pros as I can't find the word "Pro" anywhere on the group. Still the group does seem to be very well thought out -- from the adjusters on the calipers to the limit screws on the deraileur. Nice stuff.

Thank you for listing the usual suspects. I will see what I can find.

kg1

·
Registered
777 Posts
kg1 said:
I assume they are not Superbee Pros as I can't find the word "Pro" anywhere on the group. Still the group does seem to be very well thought out -- from the adjusters on the calipers to the limit screws on the deraileur. Nice stuff.

Thank you for listing the usual suspects. I will see what I can find.

kg1
Are they aero or not? The Superbe levers were non-aero Campy copies, with drilled-out lever blades. I have a Superbe rear derailleur from 1980, it's got the stiffest spring I've ever seen. The late 70's / early 80's Superbes were, according to Frank Berto, the best-shifting racing derailleurs of their day. Probably one of the best-shifting friction derailleurs ever made.

To date the group, follow the instructions at

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

Also, a visit to the Suntour museum at

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/suntour/index.html

will be enlightening.

By the way, it's "Superbe", not "Superbee". Pronounced like "superb", with a silent "e".

--Shannon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.